sprinkler heads chopped off

I have some Toro Mini 8 Rotor sprinkler heads which were chopped off (and lost) by the riding lawn mower. Does anyone know if there is a site where I can buy just the top inner part of the sprinkler heads anywhere for any model? Does anyone know if a quick and fast way to fix those, without buying new ones. Each one costs around $10, so I have about 10 which I need to replace. Some people know all sorts of tricks, so maybe someone might share it here, or better yet, put a post on youtube! Do any brands or merchants sell just those parts of the head which gets chopped off?

Is there a way to protect those? I was thinking of putting wooden stakes in the ground near them at the same height. I worry about flying debris hitting someone in the eye though. Next time, I will make sure that the mower is set higher.

Reply to
Deodiaus

the sprinkler heads anywhere for any model?

ones. Each one costs around $10, so I have about 10 which I need to replace.

Maybe you can get "contractor" pricing if you order or buy a dozen, or so. I'd replace em and move on.. 'Course, I would investigate why I needed to replace more than 1 or 2. Good luck with your repairs! Bill

better yet, put a post on youtube!

the ground near them at the same height. I worry about flying debris hitting someone in the eye though.

Reply to
Bill

the sprinkler heads anywhere for any model?

ones. Each one costs around $10, so I have about 10 which I need to replace.

better yet, put a post on youtube!

the ground near them at the same height. I worry about flying debris hitting someone in the eye though.

If the head is broken, you need to replace it. If the pipe broke and the head is intact, you need to repair the pipe (tedious but inexpensive and not difficult). There are concrete rings at most lawn care departments specially to protect the head. The head should be situated so that the ring is on the surface of the ground, not pushed down into soil, and the head recedes below the top of the ring...should be able to roll over the ring and not damage the head or the mower. There are also flexible pipes which are a short run from the water supply line to the head...much better than a head sitting atop rigid pipe because with the flex pipe you can't bust the supply line when you run over a head. All of the mfgs of irrigation stuff have lots of info on their websites

Reply to
Norminn

the sprinkler heads anywhere for any model?

Each one costs around $10, so I have about 10 which I need to replace.

better yet, put a post on youtube!

the ground near them at the same height. I worry about flying debris hitting someone in the eye though.

Probably come from China already assembled and no parts available for them

Check with these guys. They have the entire had for $11+. My guess is you won't find just parts though.

or here for 9.44

Were they defective that the mower caught them? Or did you just cot too low?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

try posting on freecycle or finding a store that recycles building products

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

ts- Hide quoted text -

If ten heads got cut off at the same time when mowing, then clearly the heads were not installed correctly. They must be set too high. Or else he must have been mowing with them going. Sure, once in a while, one will fail to retract properly and then it can get hit. But 10 at the same time?

As for repair, after getting hit, there isn't going to be anything to repair. The head is, well pretty much the head. And once you whack it, well, it's whacked. Then factor in that they have a limited life anyway. After a while they wind up leaking around the pop-up seal or stop rotating, etc. When you can get a new one for $10 or less, I would not screw around.

When replacing them, it may be possible to unscrew the whole inner assembly from the shell and only replace that part. That can make it easier. However his must be set too high in the ground and that can only be corrected by digging it out and replacing the whole thing.

Reply to
trader4

rt of the =A0sprinkler heads anywhere for any model?

ones. =A0Each one costs around $10, so I have about 10 which I need to rep= lace.

e, or better yet, put a post on youtube!

es in the ground near them at the same height. =A0I worry about flying debr= is hitting someone in the eye though.

Sounds like you did a butcher job installing the sprinkler heads if they were installed in such a way that the lawn mower could chop them off...

Operator error either on the deck height adjustment of the mower or on the area pre-flight walk-around looking for hazards/obstructions/rocks/etc which could become deadly shrapnel when mowed or cause FOD to the mower blades if you couldn't tell the sprinkler heads were in the line of fire...

The whole point of installed lawn sprinklers is that they are flush with the surface of the soil, which is beyond the reach of the lawn mower, why would you have them installed so that they are sticking up high enough to be chopped off, this sounds like an installation error rather than a malfunction because you described doing this to 10 sprinkler heads and while one head might not retract all the way because of something getting stuck inside it -- 10 at the same time would be astronomical odds of that happening and would indicate some sort of problem with the system if all the heads were not retracting properly...

Reply to
Evan

I am unsure if they were all chopped off in the same day. Probably only 2 last time.

The problem is that the pop up nozzle did not recess all the way back. If I walk around and push them down, then it is ok.

I had someone else cut my yard.

Reply to
Deodiaus

y 2 last time.

=A0If I walk around and push them down, then it is ok.

It's unusual for that many heads to not retract. I'd consider switching to another brand. I use Hunter and it's rare that one doesn't retract. I guess it's possible that there is something unique about your water that leaves deposits. Also, a quick spray with some silicone lube when they are up and in use fixes the problem for months.

Reply to
trader4