spring under building pro

Cyber:

C > We are considering buying a building apparently built over a spring C > which is now causing problems. C > Would a french drain eliminate the problem? We would like to keep the C > structure where it is. any ideas?

Initially I would agree with the others: probably not worth the hassel of a known problem; there'll be enough other little "surprises". If the building is really-really worth working around the water problem for you then yes, I'd look into re-directing the water flow.

One thing I noted when reading your message was the use of the word "building". You didn't say "house", which sort of leads me to think it's either something like an office or store or something equally commercial.

Also the solution depends on how much water you will be dealing with. A constant trickle can probably be handled with a French drain like you proposed. More water can be a major headache. I used to go to school where next door was a factory. The factory was built over a river and had a waterfall. The 'interesting' part is the river was totally underground except under the factory. There wasn't any other river in the area upstream. Downstream was a swamp where they eventually built a shopping plaza. Remember some roller-coaster floors!

  • Does the Windows Control Panel hold the tummy in?
Reply to
barry martin

What the heck is a french drain?

Reply to
Generic Male Homosapien

A 'French Drain' is a French toilet. Simply a hole in the ground that one squats over and does his / her business. It took the English to design a proper 'Crapper' named after the inventor, John Crapper.

Reply to
Loose Cannon

What I have seen , It is a deep trench that goes deeper than the water you hope to re-direct. this trench is filled with gravel and at the bottom is a pipe to collect and drain off any water. You put them uphill of what you want dry. "If I can not dance, I want no part in your revolution." Emma Goldman

Reply to
cyber

Just curious What kind of spring is it? Automotive Leaf spring or coil spring, A door spring, watch spring, faucet washer spring, or what?

Wild Blond

Reply to
WildBlond