spring in dishwasher door?

Yesterday we were opening our dishwasher and there was a loud bang. Now when we lower the door, instead of gently opening, it's like you've got a ton of bricks in your hand. You have to use a lot of force to keep the door from slamming down hard.
When we want to run the dishwasher, we've got to pull it up and then LIFT vertically to get it to latch.
Presumably, a spring inside the door closing mechanism has gone bye-bye.
It's a Kenmore 15785 from 1990!
Any possibility of repair? Either self or service-person? Opinions or experiences appreciated.

unscrew it where it is attached under the counter. If you pull it out a little you should see a spring on both sides of the door. My Kenmore is a whirlpool.
snipped-for-privacy@portigal.com wrote:

Trivil job really. As already stated, find it and replace or repair it.
If it broke at an end loop you can prolly bend a new loop and reuse the old spring.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Look on the Sears parts web site with the model number.
If its discontinued, tyr the Yellow Pages under Appliance repairs/parts and dial. These arent too hard to replace.
snipped-for-privacy@portigal.com wrote:

Hi,
Not a model#....at least not a full model#. http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html

http://www.applianceaid.com/lookup.html