Spring-back kitchen faucet

Very basic kitchen faucet. Installed maybe 15 years ago.
The cold handle was seeping water a little, not from the washer. I pulled the element. No old-style packing. Man at the hardware store replaced an O-ring. I tightened it pretty well at re-install, but didn't torque the hell out of it.
It doesn't leak, but it feels tight. Turn the water to 3/4 open, it springs back to maybe 1/2 open. Shut it off with normal hand pressure and it springs back to a tiny stream.
I just need to turn the house water off, re-seat the damned thing with somewhat less wrench-pressure? Lots of pipe grease? Etc.
Thx, Peetie
"Take Yo' Hand Out My Pocket (I Ain't Got Nothing What Belongs To You)!" - Rice Miller, who probably never even _heard_ of GW Bush, Paulson, etc

wrong size o ring.......