sprayer exploded

I had mildew on the side of a concrete block house and decided to do a little cleaning. Grabbed up my trusty plastic-body 1 gallon sprayer and filled it full of a bleach solution. I had about 6 or so strokes on the pressure pump handle when there was a "pop" noise and the plastic body split. Bleach solution was thrown on my clothes and a few drops on my face.
So ..... from then on, I put my new sprayer in a plastic garbage bag before pressurizing. Considering the types of fluids being sprayed, I figure I sure don't want to take any more chances.
Just a heads-up .... be careful out there folks ......

Good point, it can happen. Keep that plastic sprayer out of the sun too. UV light can make plastic brittle over a few years.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

As perhaps, can chlorine bleach.

Was it a cheap unit, that scares me since I use acid in them. I have many cheap units, maybe I shouldnt have got the cheap ones but muriatic acid ruins the pump fast anyway.
ransley wrote:

Yes, it was a cheap unit. But even so, I did not anticipate the unit failing like that. One thing tho -- my sprayer *was* exposed to sunlight. As another poster mentioned, that could have weakened the pressure vessel.
I can't imagine what would have happened if I had a failure while spraying some really nasty stuff. That's the stuff of nightmares.....
I don't know of any residential type sprayer made to spray muriatic acid. Since you don't mention psi, recommended psi and recognition that it is made to handle what you spray, it's a good thing you aren't blinded by the experience because they'd have zero liability.
Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.
Did you bother to RTFM? If so, you were told to ONLY use such and such etc.. Right tool, right job.
Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.