Sprayed on Drywall Finish Repair; Help Please

Drywall mechanics and my insurance company are debating the best way to repair (or better to replace???) the heavy sprayed on acoustic ceiling type finish in my family room where the leaning tree broke through as it rolled out of the ground. The heavy rough finish was to approximate a Spanish style room, with dark beams, etc. Several mechanics said they can repair it, repray and with a coat of paint---you'll never know. Others don't even "want to mess with it" stating that there is too much danger in the repair sliding off the wall where repairs meet old wall, regardless of how well they prep the surface. The insurance company initially said, redo all the wallboard (about 20 sheets, $100-$150 a board installed) because it will never match. However, as their losses have mounted they are getting a bit stingy. Any thoughts/ammuntion would be appreciated. TIA Roy
If the plasterer cant do it, thats it, ins pays. Or look for a guy thats good. Call interior designers , and Architects for someone they recomend.