Spray to kill grass only?

\ Could be since new things come on the market all the time and I don't know everything. Couldn't find your response.

For the average person and general mix of crass and other plants, I believe the the response is still "if it kills the grass it will kill or severely damage the dicots.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

George E. Cawthon

"George E. Cawthon" wrote: ...

Well, some of them aren't new...I'd estimate maybe 20 years or so.

Ortho "Grass-B-Gone" is probably the most prevalent in home centers, etc.

A google will find much...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

OK, it was longer ago than I thought...in February(!)...

Here's the nub of the previous. There is good information from most of the land grant universities as there is lots of research on herbicides for ag use as well as from the major manufacturers (Dow, Monsanto, etc.). As you note, many of these aren't available to the average person, but as noted below the Ortho "Grass-B-Gone" is and is effective w/ some restrictions/caveats (as is any herbicide, of course).

/Previous Post-- I know of two general classes of selective grass-effective herbicides--there may be others more recent. Ortho is one common home-owner-available brand name that markets at least one--

Aryloxyphenoxy Propionates (formerly Oxyphenoxy Acid Esters Fusilade is the most widely used for postemergence control of both perennial and annual grass weeds, over-the-top in broadleaved crops, especially cotton and soybeans. (I believe this is the class in Ortho Grass-B-Gone, but I'm not absolutely positive w/o looking it up).

Others of this same type are Whip, Acclaim, Verdict, Gallant, Hoelon and Assure.

Cyclohexanediones -- Poast and Select/Prism.

Addendum--These latter specific brands are restricted use. Whether there are consumer-labelled products using the particular active ingredients I don't know. Since I have applicator license for ag use, I tend to forget which are/aren't generally available.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Others of this same type are Whip, Acclaim, Verdict, Gallant, Hoelon and Assure.

Are you sure this stuff will kill all types of grass? I know for a fact Acclaim will not. In fact it's one of the best controls for crabgrass. Used correctly, it will kill even mature crabgrass, while leaving tall fescue, blue grass, etc unharmed.

I think the real problem here is the OP is vague as to what he's trying to do. It's not clear what kind of grass is invading the plant areas, ie is it a desirable lawn grass, or some undesirable grass, etc. There is also no info as to what the other plants he wants to save are either.

Reply to
trader4

and I quote...

"Ornamec® 170 is a selective post emergence herbicide for the control of annual and perennial grasses Ornamec® 170 does not control broadleaf weeds or sedges (Nut grass).

Used as directed, Ornamec® 170 Grass Herbicide will eliminate unsightly, protruding grasses from your existing wild flower project without injuring transplants, emerging wild flower seedlings or established plants in full bloom. (mixture ratio 8 to 10 ounces of Ornamec per gallon of water) Covers up to 5,000 square feet.

Labeled for over-the-top application, Ornamec's active ingredient begins to work within five days. Death of the grass is generally observed within two to three weeks, depending on the grass species and environmental conditions."

Reply to
Noozer

That's correct...some of these are also grass specie/type-specific.

I was only really addressing the question of selectivity between "broadleaf" and "grasses" as being as someone here (I forget who now it actually was) was uncertain it was even possible.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Reply to
AKManty

I had a problem of grass growing in my English Ivy. Someone on this list years ago advised me to use an over the top product called Poast. I sprayed it around the ivy, rhodos, azaleas with no problem. Killed the grass and had no affect on the other plants.

Reply to
Jack Allen

That's not the subject...those are -selective. Please read the thread...this is about the fourth or fifth time someone's jumped in and totally ignored the question.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth