Spray to kill grass only?

Page 2 of 2
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Could be since new things come on the market all the time and I don't know everything. Couldn't find your response.
For the average person and general mix of crass and other plants, I believe the the response is still "if it kills the grass it will kill or severely damage the dicots.
"George E. Cawthon" wrote: ...

Well, some of them aren't <very> new...I'd estimate maybe 20 years or so.
Ortho "Grass-B-Gone" is probably the most prevalent in home centers, etc.
A google will find much...
"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

OK, it was longer ago than I thought...in February(!)...
Here's the nub of the previous. There is good information from most of the land grant universities as there is lots of research on herbicides for ag use as well as from the major manufacturers (Dow, Monsanto, etc.). As you note, many of these aren't available to the average person, but as noted below the Ortho "Grass-B-Gone" is and is effective w/ some restrictions/caveats (as is any herbicide, of course).
/Previous Post-- I know of two general classes of selective grass-effective herbicides--there may be others more recent. Ortho is one common home-owner-available brand name that markets at least one--
Aryloxyphenoxy Propionates (formerly Oxyphenoxy Acid Esters Fusilade is the most widely used for postemergence control of both perennial and annual grass weeds, over-the-top in broadleaved crops, especially cotton and soybeans. (I believe this is the class in Ortho Grass-B-Gone, but I'm not absolutely positive w/o looking it up).
Others of this same type are Whip, Acclaim, Verdict, Gallant, Hoelon and Assure.
Cyclohexanediones -- Poast and Select/Prism.
Addendum--These latter specific brands are restricted use. Whether there are consumer-labelled products using the particular active ingredients I don't know. Since I have applicator license for ag use, I tend to forget which are/aren't generally available.
Others of this same type are Whip, Acclaim, Verdict, Gallant, Hoelon and Assure.
Are you sure this stuff will kill all types of grass? I know for a fact Acclaim will not. In fact it's one of the best controls for crabgrass. Used correctly, it will kill even mature crabgrass, while leaving tall fescue, blue grass, etc unharmed.
I think the real problem here is the OP is vague as to what he's trying to do. It's not clear what kind of grass is invading the plant areas, ie is it a desirable lawn grass, or some undesirable grass, etc. There is also no info as to what the other plants he wants to save are either.

That's correct...some of these are also grass specie/type-specific.
I was only really addressing the question of selectivity between "broadleaf" and "grasses" as being as someone here (I forget who now it actually was) was uncertain it was even possible.
try Roundup or Finale
Duane Bozarth wrote:

AKManty wrote:

That's not the subject...those are <non>-selective. Please read the thread...this is about the fourth or fifth time someone's jumped in and totally ignored the question.
Grass-B-Gone kills Bermuda growing in a bed of Gazanias selectively.
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 07:27:24 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

Good old gasoline kills grass. Spray only the grass. If you have a well, be careful about spraying unknown herbicides around the yard. that goes for gasoline, too, of course. Have you tried burning with a propane torch? Tiger torch is best. Sheild the good plants with a piece of tin.
JohnK
Sorry, my response was a bit broad. There are exceptions, e.g., dicots with heavily waxed leaves that limit absorption of sprays. But the exceptions are rather narrow.