Spray to kill grass only?

A similar analogy would be the Germans looking for a gas that killed only Jews :-)

Harry

Reply to
Harry Everhart

Grass is actually one of the harder things to kill.

All the solutions that I have used that would kill grass would kill all plants that it contacted.

Spectracide grass and weed killer has a wide range of applications for one purchase. You just vary the formula.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

There are a few areas where the grass is taking over and I'd like to find a way to spray out the grass without killing the other plants filling in. I've pretty much pulled all that I can, but some of it is difficult to get and and I always miss some.

Can someone suggest a spray that will kill grass only? Also wondering what other types of plants I should avoid spraying with this chemical.

Thanks!

Reply to
Noozer

I'm reminded of a friend of mine. His wife sent him to the store, and get a jug of Bug B Gone. Dilute it and spray it on every plant in the garden.

Couple days later, they thought to read the label again. Account of all their plants in the lawn were dying. You guessed it, grass be gone.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So, Ornamec 170 is just an illusion?

Noozer

To me it was a funny analogy. I do not think that either item exists - plants are plants. I am sorry that offended you. I kid the Germans :-)

Reply to
Harry Everhart

Harry Everhart wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.dca.giganews.com:

Damned nazi that you are!

I do not think that either item exists -

Reply to
cocoa.cola

Damn that is a stupid thing to say. Is it supposed to be funny?

Reply to
toller

Ortho has "grass be gone" that works, but not very well. Plan on repeated applications. It requires (or at least it did last time I used it) rubber gloves, not plastic. Must be pretty nasty stuff.

Reply to
toller

How large are the areas you want to kill? If not huge, can mix some Roundup and use a brush rather than a sprayer. I have done that to spot treat tough weeds.

Reply to
Norminn

Harry Everhart wrote: ...

You obviously don't know much about plant biololgy/pathology either... :(

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

More likely "Weed-B-Gone", not "Grass...". The former is 2-4,D which is broadleaf, the Grass-B-Gone is generally not deadly for broadleaf--otherwise, there'd be no point whatever for it.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Roundup will kill everything which is what was requested.

To OP--there was a thread here a just a couple weeks ago where I posted a link to what are the available grass-specific herbicides. Depending on state you may or may not be able to get most (any) of them other than the Grass-B-Gone varieties.

A Google for the previous thread will lead you to that or a google on grass-specific herbicides will lead you to all you can want to know.

Unless the area is small and the things you're trying to save are really valuable, however, it may be simpler to just use Roundup and kill all vegetation and then start over w/ the desired cover crop(s).

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Nope. You can selectively kill broad leaf plants and not kill grass. There is nothing that will do the reverse. Anything that kills grass will kill broad leaf plants even quicker and at reduced concentrations.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Maybe insensitive to some, as the op is probably thinking that selectively killing the grass can't be done and assuming correctly that there is so little difference between one human and another that no gas could selective attack only one group.

To my knowledge there is little chance of killing the grass and not damaging large groups of broad leaf plants. I think the Ornamec is for established bed and is used as pre emergent (kills or prevents the germination of seeds)to prevent new grass growth. This is non selective, but if the broad leaf plants are already growing it wouldn't affect them, just as it wouldn't affect any grass this is already growing there.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Suggest that you look very carefully at the ad. Ornamec is apparently a pre-emergent (kills or prevents germination of new seeds) and is used to maintain grass free beds not selectively kill the established grass.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

That also is not true...I posted a response to the same question w/ some of the alternatives a couple of weeks ago. Most, however, are restricted and not available except for those w/ applicator licenses, such as ag applicators.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Reply to
nospambob

Last I checked, answers are allowed that are not specific to the vague request. The OP suggested he had only isolated quantities of weed to get rid of, so why spray the whole darn lawn? When a weed is tough, and only small amounts, brushing on Roundup works very well.

Enlighten us - look in your "sent" folder :o)

Reply to
Norminn

Good old gasoline kills grass. Spray only the grass. If you have a well, be careful about spraying unknown herbicides around the yard. that goes for gasoline, too, of course. Have you tried burning with a propane torch? Tiger torch is best. Sheild the good plants with a piece of tin.

JohnK

Reply to
Porky