Spray to kill grass only?

Page 1 of 2

There are a few areas where the grass is taking over and I'd like to find a way to spray out the grass without killing the other plants filling in. I've pretty much pulled all that I can, but some of it is difficult to get and and I always miss some.
Can someone suggest a spray that will kill grass only? Also wondering what other types of plants I should avoid spraying with this chemical.
Thanks!

A similar analogy would be the Germans looking for a gas that killed only Jews :-)
Harry

So, Ornamec 170 is just an illusion?
http://www.wildseedfarms.com/ornamec_specs.htm
Noozer wrote:

Ornamec is apparently a pre-emergent (kills or prevents germination of new seeds) and is used to maintain grass free beds not selectively kill the established grass.

and I quote...
"Ornamec 170 is a selective post emergence herbicide for the control of annual and perennial grasses Ornamec 170 does not control broadleaf weeds or sedges (Nut grass).
Used as directed, Ornamec 170 Grass Herbicide will eliminate unsightly, protruding grasses from your existing wild flower project without injuring transplants, emerging wild flower seedlings or established plants in full bloom. (mixture ratio 8 to 10 ounces of Ornamec per gallon of water) Covers up to 5,000 square feet.
Labeled for over-the-top application, Ornamec's active ingredient begins to work within five days. Death of the grass is generally observed within two to three weeks, depending on the grass species and environmental conditions."

To me it was a funny analogy. I do not think that either item exists - plants are plants. I am sorry that offended you. I kid the Germans :-)
Harry Everhart wrote: ...

You obviously don't know much about plant biololgy/pathology either... :(
toller wrote:

Maybe insensitive to some, as the op is probably thinking that selectively killing the grass can't be done and assuming correctly that there is so little difference between one human and another that no gas could selective attack only one group.
To my knowledge there is little chance of killing the grass and not damaging large groups of broad leaf plants. I think the Ornamec is for established bed and is used as pre emergent (kills or prevents the germination of seeds)to prevent new grass growth. This is non selective, but if the broad leaf plants are already growing it wouldn't affect them, just as it wouldn't affect any grass this is already growing there.

Grass is actually one of the harder things to kill.
All the solutions that I have used that would kill grass would kill all plants that it contacted.
Spectracide grass and weed killer has a wide range of applications for one purchase. You just vary the formula.
Colbyt

Damned nazi that you are!
I do not think that either item exists -

Ortho has "grass be gone" that works, but not very well. Plan on repeated applications. It requires (or at least it did last time I used it) rubber gloves, not plastic. Must be pretty nasty stuff.
I'm reminded of a friend of mine. His wife sent him to the store, and get a jug of Bug B Gone. Dilute it and spray it on every plant in the garden.
Couple days later, they thought to read the label again. Account of all their plants in the lawn were dying. You guessed it, grass be gone.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

More likely "Weed-B-Gone", not "Grass...". The former is 2-4,D which is broadleaf, the Grass-B-Gone is generally not deadly for broadleaf--otherwise, there'd be no point whatever for it.
Noozer wrote:

How large are the areas you want to kill? If not huge, can mix some Roundup and use a brush rather than a sprayer. I have done that to spot treat tough weeds.
Norminn wrote:

Roundup will kill everything which is <not> what was requested.
To OP--there was a thread here a just a couple weeks ago where I posted a link to what are the available grass-specific herbicides. Depending on state you may or may not be able to get most (any) of them other than the Grass-B-Gone varieties.
A Google for the previous thread will lead you to that or a google on grass-specific herbicides will lead you to all you can want to know.
Unless the area is small and the things you're trying to save are really valuable, however, it may be simpler to just use Roundup and kill all vegetation and then start over w/ the desired cover crop(s).
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Last I checked, answers are allowed that are not specific to the vague request. The OP suggested he had only isolated quantities of weed to get rid of, so why spray the whole darn lawn? When a weed is tough, and only small amounts, brushing on Roundup works very well.

Enlighten us - look in your "sent" folder :o)

I had a problem of grass growing in my English Ivy. Someone on this list years ago advised me to use an over the top product called Poast. I sprayed it around the ivy, rhodos, azaleas with no problem. Killed the grass and had no affect on the other plants.

Noozer wrote:

and not kill grass. There is nothing that will do the reverse. Anything that kills grass will kill broad leaf plants even quicker and at reduced concentrations.
"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

That also is not true...I posted a response to the same question w/ some of the alternatives a couple of weeks ago. Most, however, are restricted and not available except for those w/ applicator licenses, such as ag applicators.