Spray painting speaker grills

Hi,
I have bought white paintable in-wall speakers.
I would like to spray paint them now, but I'm worried about the paint clogging the grilles. Any word of advice here? Like, spray from a few more inches away. Or move across more quickly to achieve thinner coats. Or, don't do it!
Many thanks in advance,
Sam

I spray painted with a latex (thinned the first coat) and went over it ever so slightly with the air gun attachment on my compressor right after. The holes opened right up and the result was ' factory'. I would assume a can of compressed air would do the same.
On 12/24/2010 03:04 AM, Sam Takoy wrote:

I'd use Krylon or similar, not house paint fed through a sprayer.
I've had to spray paint some metal speaker grilles while restoring old cars (think of the ones in the middle of the dash on 60's and earlier cars) and yes you do have to be a little careful about not getting the paint on too thick, but if you get any filled holes, you can take a toothpick and poke through them.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Blowing compressed air through it from the backside immediately after spraying should open any clogged holes while the paint is still wet and will flow away properly.
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Spray-painting-speaker-grills-610935-.htm Dalton wrote:
Sam Takoy wrote:

A spray can is your best option as long as you find the color you want. If you want a certain color, most paint stores carry a "Prevail" spray bottle with compressed air and you fill will your paint. If the speaker grill is metal I would not use a latex paint unless primed with an oil based primer first.
------------------------------------- Dalton Supreme Painting
On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 14:45:52 +0000, dalton_at_supremepainting_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (Dalton) wrote:

99.999% the grill is already primed, so you can paint with whatever - but the secret is THIN.