Spray paint help

I've been doing a lot of spray painting lately - from tins of spray paint, not from a compressor, and have been having problems with wrinkling. I've used a primer coat and the same brand of spray paint as the primer too.
About 50% of the time a second or third coat will cause everything to sort of alligator except that instead of shrinking, the paint expands and creates alligatoring in reverse with raised ridges.
Anyone know what causes this and how to avoid it in future?
Helen
i have had that happen when i put oil base paint on latex primer. the weather was cold to. lucas

What are you painting? What temperature? Humidity? Is whatever you're painting in a place where it might be forced to dry too quickly, like in the sun? Are you putting on very light coats?

I was painting bare metal, or metal with a primer. Fairly dry humidity but have a friend who has had the same problem in the summer so humidity doesn't seem to be a factor. Painting was done in a basement or garage, not in the sun. and yes, I was using very light coats, otherwise it runs and causes drips.

What brand of primer & paint? What was the temperature when it was applied, and while it was drying?

I've used both Tremclad and Painter's Touch made by Rust-Oleum with their corresponding primers but have deliberately never used a combination of both brands on the same item. Temps were 55-60 degrees which does seem a bit low but instructions on the tins said that was okay. Same temps for application and drying with a fairly dry atmosphere.
To all who very kindly responded, The Painter's Touch paint says "Recoat before one hour or after 24 hours". Which time spread would be better in order to avoid wrinkling or would it make any difference?

Longer, especially at lower temps. By the way, I assume you're shaking the cans VERY thoroughly, right?

After the second episode of paint wrinkling, yes. (-:

Hmm. The plot thickens. Let me see if I've got this straight. You didn't shake the can for the first coat or two or whatever. The paint behaved badly. Then, you shook the can and did another coat on top of the earlier ones?
If this is the case, I'd strip off all the paint and start over. Discard the unused paint (properly) and buy new stuff.

Some spray paints do not like to be put over other brands of paint,and will wrinkle.You have to test for compatibility on a scrap piece.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 23:06:28 -0500, m Ransley wrote:

I've had the same problem. It's taken me forever to paint a few (four sections) of baseboard units. I've finally gotten the big pieces pretty well done (ugly, but passable) but the end caps and such went nuts. I was trying to use rustolium (sp?) appliance paint, but Ive now given up (too cold and rainy - gott get done) and will sand it all off and brush it on. What a PITA! :-(
--
Keith

snipped-for-privacy@treadles.ca wrote:

Too thick a coat or too many coats with insufficient drying time between.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

That occurred to me so I finally read the directions on the can. One type said that another coat must be added within two hours, another said to wait 24 hours.
Followed these directions and it still didn't make any difference.

Either insufficient or too much drying time. Some paints state to re-coat within one or two hours, or after 24 hours. The in between can cause problems.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

True. Being the impatient type, I think in terms of too soon. :-)
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit