Spray Foam Insulation: dissappointed

just a note, I had a company come in a spray over 1000 sq ft of floor with a spray urethane product and i have to say I am greatly dissappointed. The strength of the product is supposed to be the tight seal and complete insulation vs fiberglas. Well, it would be good if the installers understood this. Spraying up into a floor is no doubt difficult, but they just did not understand the concepts. I had to show them spots were I could still see the floor from underneath. Umm, that would be R zero. I am going around with many cans of spray foam filling in all the gaps, holes and voids at a rate of around one can per 60 square feet. That only includes the spots I can see, voids in the middle are invisible.

I have no idea what advise to give, although this contractor was slightly cheaper than a competitor[a few hundred for a multi thousand dollar install] it was scheduling and terms that made me choose him. The comptition was a month out and wanted a 50 percent advance deposit, no credit cards. Sorry, I am not going to write a check to someone that may be will show up in a month.

I guess I can say this, if you have good attention to detail, ask to see a job that is the same type of install as yours. I cannot say references would be useful, since most people would not know what they are looking at[i probably wouldn't have]

In hindsight I would stick with fiberglas. My issue is rodents, and upon removing the old glas, I found that it was only the outermost 1/3to 1/4 that was affected and I would have intalled foam board and more fiberglas and repeated every few years for much less money.

I just wish I had a real solution to offer. It is a good product. The installer was recommended by the distributor. He was polite, sincere and affable. He actually came out to survey the job[others phone quoted and wanted a check pronto] He is just ill trained in the product.

In the end stick with fiberglas.

Sigh

Reply to
yourname

Why did you pay him and waste your time fixing a poor job, thats your fault, not the foams. Go foam its superior.

Reply to
m Ransley

Seems like your subject line should be 'Spray Foam Insulation Contractor: dissappointed'.

Reply to
Retiredff

Spray foam won't help against rodents, they will tunnel through it like it was candy, especially if fiberglas didn't give them any problems. You should have sealed all possible entrie points with sturdy wire mesh or small mesh hardware cloth then foamed over it. Don't use fly screen as they can get through it easily.

Reply to
EXT