Spray can pesticides - Shelf life?

Does anyone know what the shelf life of a spray can of ant and roach killer would be? Pyrethin based. I bought a can last summer and it doesn't seem to be very effective. Would I be better off buying non-pyrethin based products if I want to carry over from year to year. The same goes for wasp sprays. You certainly don't want to use a can thats not going to kill anything.
Jmagerl wrote:

According to OSU: Shelf life. One should use fresh products whenever possible. Shelf life of insecticide products is influenced by the formulation, the container type, storage conditions (temperature and humidity) and time. As a general rule, an unopened container stored at moderate temperature will remain effective for 2 to 5 years after purchase. Over time, under poor storage conditions, the formulation and/or active ingredient can deteriorate. The formulation can separate or solidify, rendering the material unsuitable for use. The only way to know for sure if the active ingredient of a stored product is still effective is to mix and treat a pest population in a limited area and monitor the results.
Jmagerl writes:

Those knock-down sprays are essentially just overpriced mineral spirits in a spray can, and should last forever.

Missed the insecticide in the ingredients list, did you?
--
Regards,
Doug Miller writes:

No. The insecticide is just a slow residual in infinitesimal dilution, and is in there for marketing purposes and to make you feel like you got something to justify the price.
The knock-down comes from the mineral spirits alone. I keep a Sure-Shot sprayer of just that around, and it knocks 'em down just as well as the "wasp killer". Kerosene, petroleum naphtha, or WD-40 works, too.
I live in Florida, so economical insect control is important. The po' folk used to keep a rope soaked with kerosene across the door seal, to keep out the critters.

0.166% is hardly "infinitesimal". http://app.ene.gov.on . ca/pepsis/Compendium_reports/PDF/rptReport7_ActiveIngredient_By_PesticideProdu ct.pdf page 84

Hell, *water* will knock them down. The insecticide makes sure they *stay* down.

Filling a gap with a physical barrier keeps out insects. What a surprise.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller writes:

Yawn. Try to understand what the words mean.

Take your own advice. Start by looking up "infinitesimal" in the dictionary.
--
Regards,
On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 11:49:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

People that yawn a lot are not getting enough oxygen.
rusty redcloud
I always spray some in the eyes of the neighbor's kids as a benchmark. If they roll around on the ground screaming for less than 20 minutes, it's probably no good.
Matt wrote:

Your parents really should stop sexually abusing you.

Yeah, they should. Until they do, I'll always have chuckleheads like you to help ease the pain.
Matt wrote:

My pleasure.
Jmagerl wrote:

It's not very effective because pyrethin is not very effective. Try something else.
:) Does anyone know what the shelf life of a spray can of ant and roach killer :) would be? Pyrethin based. I bought a can last summer and it doesn't seem to :) be very effective. Would I be better off buying non-pyrethin based products :) if I want to carry over from year to year. The same goes for wasp sprays. :) You certainly don't want to use a can thats not going to kill anything. :) I just sprayed a pyrethrin aerosal that has to be close to 7 years old on a wasp nest and it worked as supposed to. Pyrethrin is only a contact kill.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
Lar wrote: