spot weed killer?

Page 2 of 2

tenplay wrote:

I have had good results using undiluted vinegar
Add pictures here
✖
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/spot-weed-killer-155060-.htm hollybooks wrote: I would prefer to just dig out the weeds one by one but these are tough weeds with long fat roots. Every time I pull one I also uproot the fragile new grass planted along with it. New grass will never win out against these fat bullies. I was hoping for something to carefully inject into each one to kill only that weed and give the new grass a fighting chance. Suggestions?
tenplay wrote:

------------------------------------- ___ _ |__ \ | WHAT / / | |_||_| (_)(_)
Add pictures here
✖
Out here in the hot south Texas country, some use gasoline but diesel works best. It is also illegal as awl git out.
--
Careful how you respond. I have people!

JC

Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 6, 12:16 pm, hollybooks5_at_yahoo_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (hollybooks) wrote:

Roundup, painted on the leaves.
Add pictures here
✖
hollybooks wrote:

For tough weeds as you describe, I have used Roundup with great success. If it is in or too close to desirable grass/plants to spray it, just put some Roundup in a cup and brush it on the weed you want to get rid of. Some weeds, esp. those with waxy leaves, may require more than one application but I haven't found a weed that Roundup won't kill.
Add pictures here
✖

Farmers did a version of this as well. A farmer would have a 20-30' long piece of 4" PVC with the ends capped. Inside would be Roundup and it'd be fastened to the drag links of the tractor. He would have screw on caps that held a lantern-type wick that was wrapped around the pipe, with the pipe acting as the reservoir. When the weeds in a bean field got taller than the beans, he'd then drive the field with the pipe just above the bean plants. The taller weeds would get a "licking" from the pipe as it passed over them, cleaning up the field.
Nonny
--
On most days,
it's just not worth

Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 6, 12:16 pm, hollybooks5_at_yahoo_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (hollybooks) wrote:

Buy a bag of 33-0-0 ammonium nitrate/sulfate fertilizer. Put about 2 tablespoons on the crown of the weed. The fertilizer will burn & kill the weed and with the next rain will fertilize the grass around it. No nasty herbicides in the soil either.
KC
Add pictures here
✖
hollybooks wrote:

I just use a handheld sprayer with weed-b-gon solution to spray the weed. Since it doesn't kill the grass, that's all it takes. A container of concentrate lasts me years.
Add pictures here
✖