Spot-painting A Garage Door

I used a WD40 type lubricant on my garage door track this winter and just noticed it dripped onto the front of one of the door panels. I tried cleaning it with 401 withoout luck then paint thiner and finally acetone (after I called the lubricant manufacturer).

Well I think I've gotten myself into a bit of a piclkle because now I've remove paint to the point where some corners and edges of a small cross member are showing gray; I'm pretty sure that's base metal.

Bottom line: Looks like the door is powder coated (painted) and I've removed enough to disturb the asthetics. Area is the size of a softball.

Question: Repair suggestions?

Reply to
jaygreg

You might call the manufacturer to see if they have a spray touch up they can sell you. Wayne Dalton has a touch up available for their doors. Won't be perfect though unless you repaint the door completely.

Reply to
Art

Just tell your wife to stop worrying about it...in a week, she won't even notice it...

Reply to
Kicking Bird

I doubt the door is powder coated, I had some power coated aluminum tube I soaked overnight in paint remover and it did almost nothing. I suspect that touch up paint will be your best option.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

If the paint is pretty old (sounds like it is weathered and thin), you probably should repaint the whole thing, with rusty metal primer on the bare spot. I don't know about WD40, but mineral spirits is pretty safe for painted finished. Any rusty spots?

Reply to
Norminn