Splitting Series of lights

I currently have 4 lights which are operated by one light switch. From what I can tell, the light are in a series (that is, they are all on one circuit). I would like to keep the current light switch to operate two of the lights and then install another switch to operate the other 2 lights. Is this possible? Can the new installation be part of the same circuit? How would I go about doing this. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Bond wrote:

The lights are now on one circuit , it should be possible to leave it there. The only disadvantage is troubleshooting a short.
it just needs a run of a single wire from the new light switch to the second run of lights .
I would expect the lights to be in parrallel rather than series.
But its been a while since I did electrical installs.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

ok that diagram didnt work , picture l1 , 2 3 4 as lined up vertically ,
If the feed is in the switch box, you can run a two wire cable from there to the two lights you want separated, and disconnect the existing connections at the fixtures