split ac unit install question

You can't hurt anything about the wall unless you cut out framing lumber. There really is nothing about the installation that even fastens to the wall unless you create something for your own purposes. There are two copper lines involved and probably power and control wiring. It might be neater and cleaner to install one sleeve though the wall between studs that is well caulked and sealed. Send the lines and conduits through the sleeve - grow foam with a little paint or caulk on the outside to seal the lines.

Reply to
DanG

not sure if this is the right forum.

i'm planning on installing a "split" air conditioning and heating unit in my attached 2 car garage (presently insulated but unconditioned/unheated).

the side i'd like to mount the air handler/cooling/heating unit on is a load bearing wall.

i might be worried over nothing, but since it is a load bearing wall, would mounting that "split" part of the system to the studs on that wall create any potential structural problems. i don't see how it would, but thought i'd get some opinions.

the other question is, in order to run the lines to that split unit to the outside condensor/fan, we need to drill openings in that load bearing wall. so if you go in between the studs, it should be fine - right ? - how would a reputable contractor seal up these holes after they've run the lines ? (since the Tyvek, and CDX plyscore thats under the vinyl siding is compromised by the hole)...is it just a matter of injecting some sealing foam/compound?

thanks in advance for any responses.

Reply to
Joe

Nope, it can take quite a bit.

it should be fine - right ? - how would a

Right. I'd use spray foam.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The unit will come with a sleeve that goes through the wall. The one I installed required a 2" hole

Reply to
DT