Split ac systems

A guy a know, who is not always a completely truthful person claims that an HVAC man was at his house and told him that effective the first of the year, "split" A/C, partly inside and partly out would no longer be allowed.

Sounds like some level of BS to me. What's the real deal?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Bunk.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

This is Turtle.

If this is going to be anounced at the first of the year. There will be another anouncement that the Pope in Rome will be changing to be a Baptist.

This is the biggest bunch of bull I've heard all year. Have you got anyother jokes you can tell here ?

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Its bullshit.

The real deal is, that effective Jan 06, 13SEER will be the min SEER rating for units produced, with the exception of SpacePak and Intertherm units. You can still install 10, 11, and 12 SEER units, but only as long as they last, since no ones making them but the 2 exceptions above, and they cant do it forever. Truth is, right now, split is the way to go if you want 14SEER or higher units..package units are ok, but for most people and situations, a split is the way to go.

Reply to
CBHVAC

In who's homeowner's association?

Reply to
Goedjn

No, you just got it mixed up. What the guy meant was that first of the year the outdoor condenser can no longer be put outside. It has to go inside up in the attic. If no attic, it has to go in the crawl space or basement. Your indoor furnace will need to be place outside and insulated. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

This is Turtle.

I heard that but it was different as the condenser unit had to be installed upside down in the attic to work correctly. Did you hear that ? I'm holding back on installing them this away till i get a correction notice in the mail.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Due to new energy requirements, the outdoor unit needs to be framed in, and insulated with R-30 fiberglass. Then framing needs to be painted green.

How did we ever live all these years with uninsulated condensing units?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Amazing. I love the rumors. Thank you for checking on this.

Personally, I've never heard this one. But, I do thank you for writing it to alt home repair.

Anyhow, don't worry about it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon