split A/C - two indoor units? Heat pump?

Hi Nate,
It was installed in August 2005 and has been an excellent performer -- no problems to report thus far. At current fuel oil prices, I estimate my net savings over oil heat are just over $1,100.00/year.
My unit is rated at 10.5 SEER and has a HSPF of 7.2. New inverter drive models such as the Fujitsu 12RLQ are rated at 21 SEER/10.55 HSPF, so their heating and cooling costs are one-third and one-half of mine respectively. In addition, my Friedrich basically calls it a day at -10C/14F whereas the 12RLQ can continue to provide a good amount of heat down to -15C/5F; depending upon the severity of your winters, the ability to operate at these lower temperatures is a big plus.
These ductless heat pumps are, quite frankly, amazing products and I recommend them without reservation.
Cheers, Paul
Nate Nagel wrote:

This is too funny for words. The site he posted has 11 Mitsubishi heat pumps, 3 LGs, and 3 Friedrichs. Make sure you buy one of the Friedrichs, Nate! Excuse me while I go laugh in another room. I'm disturbing my family.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

subject to electrical codes and the climate and whether you are storing flammables in the garage: for immediate use might be 250 watt infrared brooder lamps, this will provide warmth and light if white or warmth with less light if red. it warms your skin and surfaces where you point it, but wont warm the air much. compare this to halogen lighting, where you can have three 500 watt outdoor worklights or instead five 300 watt worklights. halogen worklights get hot and may be specific to outdoor use only, so are not necessarily allowed in your garage in your location. if you have gasoline in the garage you probably need to use electric heat that is appropriate for that envoronment. otherwise you will approximately get about 5200 btuh's out of any 1500 watt electric heater which fills up a 15 amp circuit. there is some spray on foam insulation for open studs which might be of use to contain the heat, subject to local codes. if your climate is hot and dry, swamp coolers use water and a sponge or belt with a fan to lower the temperature. these don't work effectively in hot and humid conditions. subject to the size of the garage and its insulation, there are are residential wall air conditioners with electric heat in them, limited to your electricity at the garage, but i don't know if they are approved for your local use.
buffalobill wrote:

I live near DC so my climate is the very definition of "hot and humid." For the garage bay, due to the way that the space is laid out, I might have an issue using a wall unit - the two walls that would be suitable for such are also VERY close to the property line. The other two walls are taken up by the garage door and a staircase. I also liked the idea of a split because that way I wouldn't have to buy another separate unit for upstairs - that could actually be livable space if it were heated/cooled. The whole building is actually very well insulated; it was marginally livable in there today while it was pushing 100 outside.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

I'm sorry, Nate. I didn't realize that you intended to live above the garage. Trouble with the wife? Split doesn't mean it will serve two separate places. In a split AC or heat pump, the compressor is outside the building while the blower is mounted in the wall inside the building. Maybe you ought to investigate that further before buying any unit, Mitsubishi or otherwise.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

*facepalm*
I'm aware of this, that's why I'm POSTING AND ASKING QUESTIONS.
My original question was - can you get a split system that uses a single condenser to which you can attach multiple indoor evaporator units. Apparently the answer to this is yes. The second question was if they were A/C only or if heat pump units were available, and it seems that they are available as heat pumps. The third, implied question was "who makes a good unit."
If I wanted someone to give me copious amounts of shit because I'm not an expert on what is (at least around here) a rather unusual product, I would have asked for that. I don't remember doing so.
In fact, if you think about it, if I *were* an expert, would I be asking any questions at all? No, I'd probably be out buying stuff and/or getting quotes from installers.
You must be ten tons of fun at parties...
*plonk*
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

I agree.
The second question was if they

Yes, I agree.
The third, implied question was "who

Carrier, among others.

Yes, I am, especially when people like you are comparing apples to oranges.

Ah, fuck! You asked questions of me and then won't listen to my answers. I wish that I had seen this last line before responding. I only have so many keystrokes left in me.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Nate Nagel wrote:

The keyword you want is "dual zone mini split heat pump". There are a number of manufacturers. As to which ones are good, personally I've had nothing but good experience with LG, but I've never used one of their appliances. I do have one Friedrich window air conditioner that is a piece of crap.
Depending on the capacity you need it might be cheaper to use two single zone mini-splits than one dual-zone.

--John