split A/C - two indoor units? Heat pump?

Page 2 of 3

Pete C. wrote:

Well, then I misinterpreted. But the LG dehumidifiers that I was just admiring the other day in that Orange Colored Store were, in fact, made in China. (as are some "American" brands as well - there were some "Zenith" units in the same display that looked like they rolled off the same assembly line.)

I've got one of their cell phones in my pocket right now, and it is OK - not stellar, but comparable to my Motorola. (one is mine, one is the company's.) However, I've heard bad things about their washers/dryers and dehumidifiers, two product lines that I've had recent interest in.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Entirely possible, since dehumidifiers are a low end item generally. Other good brands outsource some of their bottom end stuff to China as well, but the common thread is that they generally design the items and maintain quality control over them.

One of my previous LG phones got dropped off a second floor roof and survived without a scratch (landed on semi packed dirt). The successor LG phone survived a near drowning without lasting effects, and was just replaced last week with a Motorola one only because I needed a GSM capable phone for foreign travel. The LG DVD recorder in one of my PC continues to work well. LG is currently one of the largest producers of LCD displays and a large percentage of the LCD TVs you see use LG panels.
I can't imagine what problems may be had with a dehumidifier, it's a rather simple device. I've not used any LG appliances, but I've seen them in the stores and they seem well made.

I'm looking at my LG monitor to type this. The old Goldstar appliances were of marginal quality, but the LG series seems to be very good quality. We have the PTT phones in work and one was flushed and recovered. Still works after cleaning.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Sorry Ed, not good enough for a testimonial about Mitsubishi. Try again. :-)
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Bear in mind that Mitsubishi makes better F-15s than McDonnell-Douglas. Or so say the MACDAC engineers I've talked to when they've got enough beer in them to be honest.
--John
Pete C. wrote:

That doesn't matter to someone where the very name LG brings up thoughts of Mitsubishi.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Pete C. wrote:

Apparently NOBODY makes a good one these days, if you read the reviews on Amazon or elsewhere online. Every single brand had what I considered a high rate of negative reviews. Either there's a LOT of dehumidifiers being sold and the number of people reviewing them is biased towards those with serious problems (which is possible) or else they're all crap.
I know that I bought a (fairly expensive, cost me $200) Frigidaire unit and ended up taking it back because it wouldn't shut off. Of course, that too was made in China... I just got my money back because a) I found that the fan was supposed to run all the time, which I didn't want and b) the display unit at the store worked the same way mine did - appeared to run constantly regardless of humidity selection and wouldn't shut off when you removed the bucket. And this was the brand that seemed not to get so many negative reviews.
That's part of the reason for this thread; if I can't get a good quality dehumidifier (and others seem to be noticing that the new ones suck as well; used ones are impossible to buy on my local Craigslist. I've responded to ads within minutes of their posting, and have been told that I'm second or third in line) I might as well air condition the place. I did search and there are some higher end light industrial dehumidifiers but their cost is on the same order of magnitude as an A/C system and I don't really have any assurance other than price and gut feeling that they'd be better than the consumer models.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

I have two cheap dehumidifiers I bought at Depot probably 5 and 6 years ago, one is the Hampton Bay brand and another Maytag brand, I believe both are made in China. One is in my shop and the other is stationed in the house where it runs to help dry things after I do a carpet cleaning, and runs in the spring and fall when I'm between heating and cooling seasons to control humidity. Both work just fine.

Well, that doesn't sound like a quality issues to me, it sounds like a design issue that you just don't like. There is good reason for continuous fan operation since it increases efficiency by taking advantage of the remaining cold in the coils when the compressor shuts off, as well as maintaining airflow past the humidistat so it's more responsive and the room air is more consistent. Might be needed to get an Energy Star rating too.

Certainly if the shop is well insulated and you have bonus room type office space above it, there is adequate justification for fully conditioning the space. I have a small window A/C unit in my shop now and at some point when I finish upgrading and insulating I will likely install a larger mini split heat pump so it's comfy year round and I don't get rust films on my machines.

I believe you, and I'm not 100% opposed to buying a LG dehumidifier, I just haven't been able to determine of they properly recover from a power failure yet as that is important to me. LG/Zenith (HD) and Frigidaire (Lowe's) are the only units I've seen for sale around here.

Sure, but if you don't need badass dehumidification, if the unit doesn't automatically restart after a power failure, you also can't put it on a timer. So it's pretty much useless to me.

Yup, that's what I'm thinking too.
BTW I was back at the Despot this AM looking for a thermostat switch for the attic vent fan in the garage, and ended up walking by a display of air conditioners. Most of them were also branded LG or Zenith (which again, appears to be a rebrand of LG) and all were made in China. Now all of these were either portables or window/wall units, so maybe the splits *are* made in Korea, but you never know.
nate

Don't scare him. He may think you are sending him to Korea to become food.
Nate Nagel wrote:

Who the fuck is talking about Mitsubishi, other than you? Korea is not part of Japan. That's like me saying, since I don't like German cars, I won't buy a SAAB.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Nate Nagel wrote:

I don't blame you for mistrusting Mitsubishi since we blew them out of the sky by the hundreds in WWII, but LG is a Korean Company.

Pete C. wrote:

Oh, man!!!! That's what I wanted to say. :-)

http://www.acwholesalers.com/Wall-Mounted-Single-Zone-ductless-mini-splits-s/86.htm
snipped-for-privacy@abc.com wrote:

http://www.acwholesalers.com/Wall-Mounted-Single-Zone-ductless-mini-splits-s/86.htm
thanks, this looks like what I'm really looking for:
http://www.acwholesalers.com/Ductless-Air-conditioners-Dual-zone-s/120.htm
looks like these are "comfortaire" products, any comment on longevity/reliability? I'd say a two or three zone heat pump system (three zone if I feel like being fancy and conditioning the bathroom separately) is exactly what I'm looking for.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Did you notice that these are mostly the LG and Mitsubishi units?
Pete C. wrote:

DOH! :-)
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Pete C. wrote:

Actually the high SEER ones (which I would consider a must) seem to be mostly Friedrich. I don't know if that's a relabel or if they still make their own stuff.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Hi Nate,
My Friedrich ductless heat pump is a rebranded Fujitsu. For me, Fujitsu is the one to beat (up to 21 SEER / 11.0 HSPF).
Cheers, Paul
Paul M. Eldridge wrote:

Thanks Paul,
how long have you had this unit? Anything I ought to be aware of if I'm considering one?
nate