Split A/C Question: Ceiling Mount Evaporators (Recessed)

Does anybody know who makes a low-capacity split A/C with an evaporator that can be recessed into the ceiling? Low capacity means less than 10,000 btu. I would like one that can be fitted between the ceiling and the upstairs floor, so it would have to be thin (6-8 in.) There may be a reason that these don't exist, but I would like to know why if they don't. I would think they would be much preferred, even tho harder to install, than the wall-mounted type. Thanks very much for your help! Frank P.S. I would go to the HVAC group but the last time I went there, it was not a pleasant experience...:)

Reply to
frank1492

Sanyo makes one, a little bigger than you are asking for, 11400 btu but within range.

frytech

You mean 6 to 8 inches tall by how long? Joists are usually 16 inches OC.

If they exist, I'll be surprised.

Sanyo and others make them wall mounted in 9K units.

Reply to
HeatMan

Thanks very much. If this is the 12RS11, I saw it on one site for about $3800. On the other hand, Hitachi has a wall mounted unit (about 9300 btu) for about $540 (RAS09UH). Does this sound right, and are you paying

7X as much for the ceiling technology or for a much better unit? Frank

Reply to
frank1492

I thought there might be something that could fit between consecutive joists and between floor and ceiling as well. But I now know they are at least 10" thick, and the ceiling models seem much more expensive than the wall mounted. I think the price would finish off my interest. Thanks so much for your help! Frank

Reply to
frank1492

That $3800 -may- be the price for both the indoor and outdoor units, then again it may not. $540 sounds about right for the indoor unit only and you -will- need the condensor unit for outside.

Tim

Reply to
frytech

I'm just watching this thread because I've never heard of the device you're all talking about. Is it intended to put air conditioning into a room where it's difficult or impossible to put ductwork from the basement?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Yes. The evaporator (inside the house) looks sort of like a wall-hung air conditioner (although there are ceiling mounted/ recessed and other types as well.) The condenser is outside the house and is connected with a pair of fine copper tubes to provide circulation of the refrigerant. I believe the original single condenser/single evaporator unit was called a "mini-split" although there are now units that provide up to three evaporators for one condenser. The inside units are very quiet- there's just a fan. My problem with them is they are quite big and thick, protruding from the wall by 7" or so, and they average 30 or so inches long and

10 or so inches high. The recessed ceiling units help in this regard. I am fortunate in that I have two of the L-shaped low profile Panasonic window units that were made in the early 90's and they are still going strong. (No other low profile units have ever come close to equalling them, IMHO.) They stopped making them when the plant in Osaka was destroyed by an earthquake. When they go, it will be a split system for me. I have yet to confirm that the Hitachi includes a complete package for about $540. Most likely, as noted, it may be just for the wall unit. I hope this is all correct. Dimensions, for example, are off the top of my head, and I have a bad memory...;) Frank

Reply to
frank1492

Umm..up to 4 if you buy the right unit...

They dont. No one makes a mini split that cheap.

Reply to
*CBHVAC*

Then how else would you interpret this? (This is only one of several sites which appear to offer this Hitachi package at around the same price. Add the weights- if the indoor unit has a weight of around 30 lbs, the ship weight for the package is not going to be 100. I know it is in stark contrast with other manus prices, but it does seem to be real.

frank1492

Carlsons Appliance is a big local (Los Angeles) discount appliance retailer. They have very good prices, and can believe the total price shown.

The price is comparable to what others are selling this model for. Check Google for "RAS-09UH" and see others selling it for even less.

Reply to
Brent Geery

Those were nice units, *very* quiet. Unfortunately the evaporator scroll fan's bearings could become noisy and were not available separately from the fan. Even when the units were still in production, the fan evaporator was $115 Canadian (for a $295 A/C). I can't inagine how much they'd be now if needed (if even available).

JFYI

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

So far I have not had that problem with the bearings. I typed in the model number in Google and nothing came back- also tried to find it at a couple of the parts sites with no luck. Not that I need anything now, but I was looking to the future. I'd guess there are currently no parts available at all. Fortunately at the time I bought two units. One has almost never been used and will be a backup. It's always remained a mystery to me why Panasonc never tried to resume production. It was a top-rated unit with many advantages and, tho pricey, I assume they sold a lot. Even if the plant was destroyed, they could have started production somewhere else and would have had a winner for years to come. That unit's demise left a big void, not filled by the extremely noisy units that now exist. If you come across a parts source, please let me know. Is your unit still in operation? Frank

Reply to
frank1492

I have done this. AJMadison has the units for less, for example. I am quite certain that the $550 or so lowest price does include condenser, evaporator and remote. However, there does seem to be a tremendous price difference between Hitachi and Sanyo, for example, for similar capabilities. I was hoping to get some experiences from the HVAC group, but noticed someone getting eaten alive when I went there so had second thoughts. I will continue to look for more info here. But for the time being, I will assume that the fantastic $550 (approx) is real. I'm also going to try to find a local distributor and check their prices, because it might be cheaper to be able to avoid shipping. Frank

Reply to
frank1492

I'm afraid I don't know the model number of such units to check for you. If you post that model number I will see if I can find anything about replacement parts for it.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Thanks Dan. The model number is CW-801-HU. That was the 8000 BTU one. (There was also a CW-601-HU- 6000 BTU, but I don't have that one.) Your help is much appreciated!

Reply to
frank1492

I could only find parts for that model listed one place on-line (not even at the Panasonic web site - although if you enter a component's part number it will come up). You can see the full listing at this link.

I don't know which fan is which (there were no pictures) but the "Blower wheel" was listed for < $50. *Much* less than what I remember it to be here in Canada a couple of years ago. It looks to still be available.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Thanks Dan I will go there!

Reply to
frank1492

That site is invaluable. They stil can get the compressors for these too! Unbelievable!

Reply to
frank1492

The compressor is likely used on other models as well so that's not really surprising to me. I doubt they designed on just for that model. It's the specialty items (like the evaporator fan which I've never seen used elsewhere) that may be just used on that model that may be or become hard to get.

The compressor may not even be made by Panasonic and even if it is, there's a good possibility it is made is a separate factory from the air conditioner itself and may not have been affected by an earth quake which ruined the A/C plant.

JFYI

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~