Splicing Romex

I need to lengthen some old wiring in order to make all the wires of a 3-way switch come together in a recessed lighting box that I am installing in a first floor ceiling (no insulation).

In doing some web research, I see that splices can be done, but they must be done in a junction box, and must be accessible.

It is the second part that is confusing me. How can I make the junction box accessible when I just need to lengthen the wire by about a foot in the ceiling of a finished area? It wouldn't be a big deal to remove the light fixture, but "accessible" to me means the box is visible or in some access door.

Thanks.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

My attic has 3 junction boxes that are not accessible from below. Check your local code anyway (by calling the building inspector).

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"old work" box with a blank plate.

The box is flush with the ceiling.

Reply to
Bawana

I've used Carlon boxes before in walls. So you're saying I need to put a box in the ceiling with a cover? Man, that would be ugly.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Yep, you got it. I found a loose butt splice buried in the wall behind the medicine cabinet, when I cleaned up the wiring in the bathroom shortly after moving in here. Thankfully it was a low-draw circuit and hadn't started any fires, and I had access from the attic to drop a new wire.

When you say first floor, I assume there is no access from above? Are the wires in the joist spaces floating or stapled? Which way do they run? Any way you can add a junction box in a closet ceiling or some place it won't look horrible, and fish the wires there? Or can you get to the far end of the wire, and use the existing wire to pull a new longer wire? Wire costs a lot more than it used to, but it is still cheaper than patching wallboard and repainting. Any other way you can fish new wire and just abandon the existing wires in place? Really hard to offer advice without seeing the room. You may wanna consider hiring one of those moonlighting or semi-retired electricians that advertise in the ad papers, to come take a look. Make sure they have 'old work' experience. They usually know a few tricks about fishing wires, and other ways to lay out a circuit.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

If you are using the junction box to support the light fixture then you are fine in doing that. Fixture boxes are frequently used as junction boxes. Just make sure that the box is deep enough for all of the wires.

Reply to
John Grabowski

What "accessible" means _to_you_ is not relevant. What _is_ relevant is its meaning in the National Electrical Code: "Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure or finish, or not permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the building."

What's above the ceiling?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Maybe so... but that's what's required.

Reply to
Doug Miller

The junction box of most recessed fixtures is designed for feed through splices. Although it is essentially buried in the ceiling, it is legal because it's accessible by simply removing part of the fixture . In you situation, you may have too many conductors in the box

Reply to
RBM

If THAT is ugly, A/C vents are much more so. I find I hardly ever notice mine.

Would it help to mount a smoke alarm over that box?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Yes.

Not really. Barely noticeable.

Reply to
Bawana

It's required as it should be. That is, it has a function.

I've seen much worse-looking "decorative items". These have no actual use, so are not ugly.

Reply to
Sam E

Actually if you can remove the new ceiling box and access the old one witthout disturbing the buildiing finish it is accessible. That is the way you get to the box in a recessed can. I am thinking big hole, big goof ring around the luminaire, preferably with a big base.

Reply to
gfretwell

A regular electrical box with a solid plate cover, secured in place with a screw is the usual. A plate might look untidy or perhaps unprofessional by an inspector, and in that case buy a longer Romex piece or move the fixture.

Reply to
Phisherman

Where does the other end of this "not long enough" cable go? Is it possible to fish a new cable and just abandon the old one? It seems this would probably be the best solution.

steve

Reply to
S. Barker

If you can get to it from the attic that is considered accessible too.

Reply to
Terry