Splices in panels

When vandals stole my 100 Amp panel in my modular office trailer they cut the romex off flush with the panel. To run new romex would be very difficult. I would like to install a new larger panel and make splices inside the new panel. I would mechanically connect and then solder them. Would this meet the NEC or do I need to install a junction box (gutter) to make the splices in?
So long as the romex will physically reach inside the panel, there is nothing wrong with splicing inside. I doubt that soldering would be a plan, it can melt when it get hot. wire nuts are ok.
If the wiring ever got hot enough to melt solder, it would sure as hell burn up the insulation and wire nuts. It should never even get warm, much less hot.
--
Steve Barker

"Eric in North TX" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message

If the wire gets anywhere near the melting point of solder, he has much bigger problems than that.

So is soldering.
--
Regards,

Perhaps someone needs to invest in a fire suppression system..... ;-)
As long as the splices are inside the panel, no problem, just use wire nuts the way you would in a junction box and you should be okay. double check that the wire insulation wasn't damaged farther up, if they were hacking at it. snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

maurice wrote:

Many thanks!! Splices and wire nuts it is.
JAllen
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

While not required, a 4" x 4" gutter with some 2 inch nipples into the panel would make a much better installation. No need to solder, just twist the wires together and wirenut them.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

branch circuit cables reach far enough inside it to enable you to make a proper splice. If all of the cables came in to the old panel at one end, you won't have much of a problem with that -- but if they came in from both sides, say, you may have a tough time finding a new panel that's wide enough for the cables to come in far enough on each side to give you a good splice.
Solder isn't necessary, by the way. Doesn't hurt, but you don't need it.
--
Regards,

Crimp connectors are legal according to code in many places. Good luck finding a properly designed crimp tool, though.
On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:20:50 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

You usually find the crimping tool from the same company that makes the splicing device. They are pricy but usually the only way the splice will meet the listing.
BTW splices have a "wire count" of zero so I am not sure how they could affect "fill". The only issue with wires in panelboard enclosures is if they are not going to the devices in the enclosure. I do agree with the othere poster who said a gutter or other type of junction box at the point where a useable amount of existing cable is available would make a cleaner install. There are some nice "euro" style barrier strips listed for 12 or 10 ga wire at 30a or less that will make this J box very clean.
posted for all of us...