Spiral staircase repair

Page 1 of 2

A rod holding the handrail to the center of a spiral staircase broke. It seems to be aluminum (it is not magnetic, so not iron or steel). Is there any way to fix it other than getting a welder?
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Does the rod appear to be structural or decorative?
If it's decorative, some clear silicon adhesive might do the trick, if you could apply it and smooth it in a neat manner.
If it's structural, then it's kind of hard to make any suggestions since I'm having trouble seeing the staircase from where I'm sitting. Maybe it's the lighting.
Have you considered uploading a picture and providing a link so we can see what's going on?
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:19:27 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
It is structural. It is necessary to hold the handrail to the central shaft.

I can do that in a few days.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:19:27 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Here is a photo of the spiral stairs, but it doesn't show the break. There are rods about a half inch in diameter that connect the handrail to the center column. (you can see one if you look closely) One of them is broken.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52481858@N04/4836266316 /
--
Replace you know what by j to email

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 20:30:21 -0400, Jan Philips

I should have said that it is the handrail that is close to the center shaft, not the one on the outside.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Jan Philips wrote:

Obviously need a closeup to tell anything useful, particularly showing the actual break but...looks like welded construction in all likelihood and not much else to be done.
dpb wrote:

Okay, now it makes sense. Yeah, you could kludge up a repair, but you shouldn't. Any repair should match the as-built fastening method, because if your repair fails and somebody falls and busts their head on those pretty-but-inherently-dangerous steps, guess what the insurance company is gonna say? Local stair-and-fire-escape company, probably the same one that put them in in the first place, is who to call. I would not drill into the vertical post- aside from any immediate weakening, it is a spot for internal rust to start. As a hillbilly temporary repair until you can get somebody out there, some big hose clamps and strapping will stiffen up the floppy part of the rail.
--
aem sends...

OK, so why wouldn't you post a picture of the break? Isn't that what you want us to suggest fixes for?
If I posted a picture of the left side of my car and asked you how to fix the dent on the right side, would you be able to help?

Agreed, the photo waas useless.
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 18:35:47 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Because I don't have such a photo and I can't get one for several days. People were questioning how the handrail could be connected to the central shaft. At least it shows that.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 22:32:09 -0400, Jan Philips

As the Flikr info shows - this photo was taken last December. It wasn't broken then. I discovered the break only yesterday.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:19:27 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Here are two photos showing the break in the rod:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52481858@N04/4845326438 / http://www.flickr.com/photos/52481858@N04/4844707963 /
--
Replace you know what by j to email

I'd call a spiral staircase expert.
Something may be putting stress on the joints and causing the crack. That's quite a gap.

Someone leans quite heavily on the handrail...
I wouldn't see any need for calling in a "spiral staircase" expert...
~~ Evan

re: "Someone leans quite heavily on the handrail..."
And you know that how?
re: I wouldn't see any need for calling in a "spiral staircase" expert...
So who would you call? And if the OP has to call -someone- why *not* a "spiral staircase" expert?
I've got friends who weld for a living, but I'm not sure I'd just call them and say "tack this back together for me". I think I'd want to know why it cracked in the first place. Could be any installation issue, could be a settling in the building, etc. I'd want to know the root cause of the crack - even if it was just someone leaning heavily on the handrail, which I assume the OP would be aware of.

Because "settling" or other major structural issues wouldn't make themselves known by cracking one railing support...
You would see the stairs separating from the building or the whole staircase would be "wobbly" if there was a support issue present...
This is ONE handrail fixture support which more likely than not was broken by someone abusing the handrail by putting too much force on it...
That is why *I* don't feel calling in engineering experts or anyone else beyond a competent welder is necessary in this situation...
~~ Evan
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 19:31:14 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
I'll call the contractor that installed it (3 years ago) and see what he says. He may recommend a welder or whatever. he also would know the company it came from.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Jan Philips wrote:

Well, it could be stainless or other non-ferromagnetic alloy altho Al alloy may be a good bet...
Other than a hack of drilling and attaching a clamp or bracket or somesuch I'd reckon probably not.
As another poster said, pictures would be good...
Jan Philips wrote:

I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around a handrail attached to the center. I keep going 'round and 'round and not getting anywhere.
I, too, would like to see a picture - other than one done by Escher.
HeyBub wrote:

epoxy paste? ----------- paul