Spinning Keyhole in Doorknob

I recently installed new doorknobs in my garage-to-house door. Now I notice that the center keyhole disk (where you'd insert the key into the knob) spins freely instead of always being at the 6:00 position. Is there a way to adjust this so the keyhole is stationary, or is this a defective knob?

Reply to
Fleemo

I vote defective.

Reply to
HeyBub

Bummer. Thanks.

Reply to
Fleemo

Specifically, if you look at a cut-away drawing of a lock, you'll see the pins should be spring driven into corresponding holes when the cylinder is at the home position and the key removed.

If the cylinder moves, without a key, from the home position, then the pins are not being driven into the cylinder. There are either no pins, the pin shafts are dirty causing the pins to stick in the unlock position, the itty-bitty springs are missing, or something else.

I'd fill the lock with WD40. Then tap the lock lots with a hammer and work the key in and out in an attempt to dislodge the stuck pins.

It's a cheap shot at salvage.

Reply to
HeyBub

It's a brand spankin' new lock. I got the feeling that the guy who was keying it to work with my existing house keys was not well versed at the process. Thus, I'm guessing he messed something up inside while keying it.

Like a goofball, I didn't keep the receipt and not sure if Home Depot will let me exchange it, so I'll give your WD40 trick a shot. Thanks again.

-F

Reply to
Fleemo

Take it back to Home Depot and explain the problem. They're pretty good about taking care of customers, as long as you're polite. Tell them you lost your receipt, give them the credit card you used to pay the bill, and they'll find it in their computer system in seconds.

All the locksmiths I work with say not to use WD-40 (or graphite for that matter--the old standard). Instead, use a light oil like 3-In-1.

Reply to
SteveBell

Ah! Assuming the re-work was done by a droid at HD, take it back. An experienced droid can make it work.

In fairness to the original driod, he did make the lock work with your existing key - which is what you wanted. The fact that the lock also works when using a screwdriver or other keys was left out of the equation.

Reply to
HeyBub

I read somewhere (book about locksmithing) to not use wd-40 (or maybe it was oil it was warning about?) but instead graphite.

David

Reply to
David Combs