Spinkler System

Hi, I recently tried to replaced my mothers timer on her underground sprinkler system. For some reason its not working. The zones don't recognize the new clock. The new clock is 24volt. I think that is where the problem is. Her system is about 30 years old. Did they use a different voltage in the past? Steven

require more current than your present timer / wall wart is capable of supplying. I'd try simplifying the problem, and just try jumpering the wall wart directly to one of the valves to see if it actuates. Oh, and to cover the obvious -- make sure that the water is actually turned on to the system -- if the system had been winterized, the water is probably still shut off.
Check if you get 24V at the solenoid. If its good, then the solenoid valves might be stuck. If you don't get 24V at the solenoid, but you get it at the timer, you have a break in the wire someplace.
Steven-
I just recently went through the same thing at my mom's house.
I replaced an older sprinkler timer with a Toro 8 station timer. The sprinkler valves & solinoids are ~30 years old . (I installed them personally when I was a kid)
They work fine with the new controller. When you say they "don't work", do you mean in manual mode or in sutomatic mode?
The Toro unit requires that you press the manual start button twice to operate.
Solinoids are pretty much unchanged for the past 30 years or so.
All the systems (5 total) I have installed or repaired in the last 30 years work fine with the currently avavilable Toro timer.
cheers Bob
The old clock works in the manual mode, The mechanical timer stopped working, With the new clock, The system won't go on manually or in automatic. Steven

what brand is the new one?
I suggest getting a Toro
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category 542&item981116202&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
I use them in all my installations, at my houses & my mom's house.
24v solinoids have been pretty munch standard for ~30years all modern timers should work fine.
cheers Bob