Spider control?

Page 1 of 2
Spiders .. Spiders .. killed 4 of the bastards tonight .. one with a yellow body, the others with a dark colored body (all smashed :) ) I live in Washington State, so I'm not overly concerned about the deadly spiders. However, I know this is the time of year for them to start hatching, and walking about.. what is a good way to control this little bastards?
"This little bastards" will control themselves. They're there for your own good. Enjoy! Tom clevere wrote:>Spiders .. Spiders .. killed 4 of the bastards tonight .. one with a yellow

Someday, it'll all be over....
Yeah, but you know what I mean... I leave em alone outside, but they are coming inside ... With kids, I wouldn't mind taken em out...

..
clevere wrote:

There are chemical spays that will help, but will need to be re done from time to time. If they are seasonal, you may be able to time your applications for most effect.
A call to a professional may produce some new ideas. To some extent these problems are regional so your problems may be different than mine. I would expect there to be different problems on each side of the mountains in Washington State.
Of course, if you eliminate the spiders, you eliminate natures insect control and you may find other problems.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
:) Spiders .. Spiders .. killed 4 of the bastards tonight .. one with a yellow :) body, the others with a dark colored body (all smashed :) ) I live in :) Washington State, so I'm not overly concerned about the deadly spiders. :) However, I know this is the time of year for them to start hatching, and :) walking about.. what is a good way to control this little bastards? :)
It all depends on the type of spider you are fighting. You can routinely treat the around the perimeter of the house 10 feet out and up the side of the house, Using a micro encapsulated formulation would work best. Sometimes an attic or crawlspace dusting is needed. An insecticide dust in the weep holes or other crevices found around the structure.
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.
Perhaps you should go in for counseling to control your fear.
As far as the spiders, ignore them because they're beneficial.

I would agree that overall spiders are beneficial. They feed on other spiders, bugs and table scraps. However, here in Tennessee, we have an abundance of black widows and the very dangerous brown recluse. A determined effort must be made to control both of these in the homes. It is indeed unfortunate that no method exists to kill only these two spiders. Effective pest control will invariably kill many insects, good and bad. Such is life and death. Better them than me.
Bob

yellow
On Wed, 05 May 2004 14:58:51 GMT, "rck"

Table scraps? How *big* are your spiders...?
Jeff
I got the "table scraps" quote from the extension service web site which explained they wanted the same things we want. Food and shelter. In this case, table scraps meant that they feasted on minute particles of breadcrumbs and so forth. Now, in Arizona, table scraps meant they would carry away the table to get food.
Bob

On 5 May 2004 06:52:49 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (davefr) wrote:
:) Perhaps you should go in for counseling to control your fear. :) :) As far as the spiders, ignore them because they're beneficial.
Why must it be "a fear" to get rid of an over population of spiders.....they are, as most things beneficial until they become a nuisance, be it from a fear or just an embarrassment of having them run about at will...most would consider lady bugs beneficial, but when they over populate creating a major cost by ruining a carpet, the hind sight is always "should of treated for them before they were a problem"
For the curious...this PC company claims these pics are from BR... graphic http://www.curtispestcontrol.com/Warning.htm
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.
I had the same problem here because this place had been vacant for some time. This advice from a friend at the university extension service. Seal up all cracks around the foundation. Outside, spray around doors, windows and all openings with a long lasting pesticide containing cyfluthrin such as the one made by Bayer. Spray 10 feet up the side of the house and 10 feet out. Trim all vegetation 18 inches away from the house. Inside vacuum along baseboards and pay special attention to carpets and curtains. Keep bedding off the floor and away from the wall. Store unused clothes and towels in plastic containers, get rid of corrugated boxes. Fog monthly with pyrethrin fogger. I prefer non-flammable Raid Fumigators but they cost a little more than the petroleum based foggers. When you first begin treatment, it will make spiders more active as you drive them out of the walls. Within a couple of weeks the problem will begin to lessen. Regarding the pro's, I've had four different exterminators over the years and the results were disappointing. They all came in the first time and made a big show. After that, with a signed contract is was always a hassle to get them to do their job. If you go with a pro, find one that doesn't require a contract. Then he'll know you can fire him anytime if he doesn't keep doing the job. With a signed contract there is no incentive for them to do a good job. I've found I can do a better job myself at half the cost.
Bob

yellow

Be sure to set aside funds to cover strange lingering illnesses. Children are pretty tough - they hang on longer than big people. Very expensive.
Hint: Pyrethrin's one of the safest "cides" around. But, the "carrier" - the so called inert ingredients in pesticides - they haven't been subject to testing since the late 1960s or early 1970s.
Have you ever seen the bite of a brown recluse? It's real nasty. You can lose a limb and rarely your life. There is risk in everything we do. Living causes dying. Meanwhile we try to make the best choices, although I'll agree nothing is perfect. I'll risk the pesticides rather than a brown recluse bite. Everyone has to weigh the risks and decide which risks are acceptable to them. The main inert ingredient in the Raid Fumigator is water. I think water has been well tested over the years and has a good track record. I'd guess you probably live in a part of the country where there is little risk from poisonous creatures. Maybe you're a Yankee?
Bob

more
the
We have brown recluse spiders here, but usually not in the house. You also have to weigh the odds, I guess. Run into a certain spider how often? Bathe the house in chemicals how often? You're talking monthly?

Children
rck wrote:

You better double-check that statistic:
www.dhmo.org
--
Where no oxen are, the crib is clean,
But much benefit is derived from the labor of the ox.

think
I'd
Where on earth do people get these ideas? :-) Sometimes, I think it's the human tendency to defend a purchase already made, even if it's a lousy decision. Sort of like my father, who claims that the window sticker on his Lincoln SUV (the BIG tank) is wrong, and that the truck actually gets upward of 30 miles per gallon.
I got this idea from the package that said "steam" and I thought steam was made from water. I'm not defending my purchase. I'll use it no matter what chemicals are in there and it doesn't bother me one way or the other.

attack others. Get a life.....
Bob

Sometimes, I think it's the

his
upward

Not really. I'm eager for people to not believe everything they read on the chemical lables and the happy TV commercials.
On Wed, 05 May 2004 17:57:09 GMT, "rck"

I've been bitten twice. A quick trip to the urgent care center and I was fine. I had a client who was bitten at work on a Friday and didn't want to take time off to the nurse. By Monday the area was very dark/black. Now he has to use a cane to walk. Another individual I worked with lost a limb. The medicine for this isn't cheap - in 96 it was something like $108.00/bottle.
I live in an old house with no carpets. I keep everything clean including the attic and basement. Old shoes are disposed off as is old clothing (brown recluse love this stuff). Off season clothing is sealed up and put away for the winter and is washed in hot water before I wear it again. I was cleaning out the attic after we moved in and suffered one bite (tossing some old clothing that was left in the attic...the thing bit me above the glove line). I also walk around weekly and get rid of any spider webs.
Outside of the house I try to keep the foundation clear of anything. I have a few plants and some grass against the house. No stacks of wood nearby; there was a pile of wood against the house when I moved it I've since gotten rid of it all (got bitten by a brown recluse when moving the old firewood).
I like spiders, they're good to have around. They've been around a lot longer than I have and trying to eliminate them from this place would involve lots of chemicals. The only thing that I can do is not to provide them an easy place to live.
On Wed, 05 May 2004 17:00:20 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
?????? Here is the EPA site, updated Jan 2004, of the lists for inert materials allowed to be used in pest control products. http://www.epa.gov/opprd001/inerts/lists.html