specs of screws for standard flat screen mount

hi all

friend of mine has a 40-something inch LCD flatscreen that is hung on the wall in his house. Because of the cords being bent at sharp angles (including power cord) he would like to space it away from the wall slightly. Apparently the mount he bought included spacers but he didn't use them at his last place and needs to use them here (I guess his last place had a clock box for power rather than a regular recep) and the spacers and longer screws got lost/thrown out.

He doesn't want to take the TV down more than once for this exercise, so, the question is, what is the thread/pitch of the screws used to mount the TV to the mount, so we can buy some appropriate screws and spacers (rather than having to buy a whole new mount just to get them, and/or taking the TV down first to look at the screws before going to the store?)

thanks,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The standard is called "vesa", so if you google vesa screw size for 40" TV you may get what you need. The brackets come with a variety of vesa patterns as well as a variety of screw lengths and sizes. Not all TVs are vesa compliant

Reply to
RBM

Thank you, that was the magic word (acronym) that I was having trouble remembering.

Unfortunately, you appear to be correct that they're not all the same, with there being M6 (10mm + spacer dist) and M8 (15mm + spacer dist) flavors... and in any case (of course) not something likely to be found at friendly local hardware store :/ (otherwise I'd just go buy a handful of the likeliest sizes and be done with it)

I wonder, with the proliferation of metric hardware for everything, why your average hdwe. store still has far, far more SAE sized hardware than metric? There are exceptions, but they seem to be just that...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

If there are any Circuit City or similar stores near you that install these brackets, they probably have piles of spare screws because each one of these brackets comes with such a variety of sizes, and you only use like 4 of them

Reply to
RBM

hem- Hide quoted text -

Didn't CC go bust and out of business a couple years ago? Here in the NY/NJ area, they had a liquidating company close all their stores and sell of the remaining merchandise.....

For the spacers/screws, Ebay is worth a look....

Reply to
trader4

Didn't CC go bust and out of business a couple years ago? Here in the NY/NJ area, they had a liquidating company close all their stores and sell of the remaining merchandise.....

For the spacers/screws, Ebay is worth a look....

Funny you should mention that, seeing as I live in downstate NY. Best Buy, not CC. I think they're the ones that use a company called Firedog to install TVs

Reply to
RBM

Lowe's and HD often have Metric screws, nuts, etc. in drawers, not hanging up on display like the other stuff. In our local Lowe's those drawers are on the opposite side of the same aisle as the others.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I love the web, Google and this group but how darn hard is to take the TV down, take out a screw and go to the hardware store for a longer one the same size?

If he lost the initial parts the spacer will need to be field engineered no matter what you do. They sell nylon and metal bushings on the same aisle as the screws.

Reply to
Colbyt

I've seen those, but at least around here I don't think they're restocked when they run out.

I do know of one store with a good assortment of hardware, but it's about 50 miles away :(

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

It's a two person job, his TV is fairly heavy. so if I can't get him to agree to do it, it's not going to happen.

Right... it's the screws that are more of a concern.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Another thing that may be of some help. The few times I've hung TVs, the HDMI connection can be a pita if it's not aiming downward. Monoprice.com sells 90 degree HDMI adaptors, which help to solve that problem

Reply to
RBM

yup, already got some of those. But thanks for the reminder.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I found the bolts at a local auto store. If he's not willing to take the TV down, this could be hard to check, but I found that on mine (42 in), the holes went all the way through the case and there was maybe an inch and a half or more of clearance inside, so I didn't have to be too exact with the length.

Reply to
Larry Fishel

I needed some long M6 bolts today and found them at Pep Boys. They have M6 up to 50mm, and M8 up to 100mm.

Reply to
SMS