Speaking of satellite converter boxes.....

Page 3 of 3
On Oct 17, 1:35?am, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

both providers have audited customers over the years at various times,
at times both providers have tried to tighten the phone line conection rule and new technology will end account stacking.
all receivers on a account will talk to one another over the LNB satellite lines, no communication no service, on this only one receiver will need plugged into a phone line, and they can all call in on one connection
I have been interested in satellite tv for over 10 years for more discussion
http://www.satelliteguys.us
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 06:15:42 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Study _emulation_ history.
The ability to read the card micro-processor and load into four megs a RAM on x386 processor - booted from floppy. Satellites cannot edit the emulator RAM (Random Access Memory).
That hacker was Rupert's first victim!
-- Oren
"Painting is the art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather and exposing them to the critics."

I am NOT into theft, signal or otherwise.
I wouldnt walk out of a store without paying for the merchandise, and wouldnt steal service either
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 22:55:43 -0000, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

I did not suggest that, but only a study of your interest _in satellite tv_ .
-- Oren
Why is there only one Monopolies Commission ?
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

They both suck

You need to realize cable is way better today thanks to satellite competition.
I waited 3 years for TVLAND on TCI cable then switched to dish and havent looked back.
Dish has nice DVRs that have changed the way we look at tv forever. what few rain fades we get in only blinding thunderstorms is way less than cable outages from power failures and car accidents taking down lines, heck we had some bad channels for MONTHS only in extreme cold of nite. cable refused tio send out a tech unless it was a major outage, it would of been overtime. yet the trouble went on for months and right after we cancelled they finally found and replaced a bad neighborhood amplifier, that was cold sensitive.
so why do you think satellite sucks? you work for a cable company?
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 07:00:43 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

drawback in using either service is that you have to have a tuner box in every room
I changed to Charter when broadband became available in our area (I was one of the first customers) I have 3 sets and am glad I have no tuners to rent. Tuners suck
One interesting thing I have noticed is that with cable I get my signal about 2 seconds sooner than my sister. She lives in an area where Satellite is all she can get.

the slight time delay reflects the speed of light from station to uplink then compressing and scrambling them along with your receiver descrambling and de compressing them.
dish offers 2 receiver boxes which help cut the cost of extra boxes
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 19:15:07 -0000, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Although one of those does require RF remote control, which interferes with connecting it to a stand-alone DVR.

Mark Lloyd
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 18:21:36 -0500, Mark Lloyd

I tried one of those RF remote extenders once. It was crap. The Radio Shack pyramid transmitter/receiver setup is the best way to go to control a tuner box from another room.
http://www.x10.com/automation/pm5900_s.html

Not what he was referring to;I think he was referring to RF box controllers(an RF channel clicker!),not RF transmitter/receiver to wireless-connect the box to a TV.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

1. It isn't. I've had both the Radio Shack and X10 versions, they're BOTH crap.
2. These are intended for operating IR-controlled equipment from a distance. They will NOT work for RF-controlled equipment.

Mark Lloyd

No,you have to have a tuner box for each chammel you want to watch(at the same time);you can have a number of tuner boxes feeding your own little "cable" system to all your TVs. That's how my local sports bar feeds their 30 TVs with only 10 converter boxes.Each TV has a choice of 10 channels.

In that same sports bar,two adjacent TVs getting the same channel from different converter boxes often are out of synch by a noticeable amount.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

no the dish 322, 522, 625 and some others are dual tuner outputting 2 different channels at the same time, provided you keep a phone line connected the 2 tuner box has NO 2nd tuner fee
although you can match satellite boxes with stand alone DVRs like TIVO the intergrated 2 output boxes are way better and easy to use.
We have 625s that are gettng upgraded for free to go from 100 hour recordings to 150 hour capacity at no extra charge
dish tried a VOD service but it was never popular. so subs get more recording time
[snip]

I have a similar setup, although not that extensive. I put whatever (DirecTV, etc...) channel I want on 70 and can then tune any TV to channel 70 to watch it. A second receiver (to allow watching different a channel at the same time) uses72. Then I have a security camera (at the front door) on channel 74. RF remote controls with a RF-to-IR translator (NOT those highly unreliable "pyramids") solve the control problem.
I have had "multi room viewing" long before ReplayTV or TiVo offered such a thing. In fact when I got up this morning I started watching a show in my bedroom, and am continuing to watch if from the computer room. After finishing with the usenet-reading, I'll watch the rest of that show in the living room.
ALL of my DirecTV receivers (2 RCA DRD420RE and a HR10-250) are in the same place. The DVD player is there too.

Mark Lloyd

I guess you've never considered having ONE receiver (one receiver for each channel you watch or record at the same time) and distributing the output to all the TVs.

Yes, particularly an extra tuner you don't really need. Any tuner will lower the quality of what you get.

It takes a long time for an EM signal to travel 50,000 miles., and it has to go about that far to get to he satellite and back. For that reason, any service requiring fast interaction (like action games) won't work well with satellite.

Mark Lloyd
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 02:46:04 -0500, Joe Smut

Any more than your cable?
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 08:46:44 -0400, trainfan1

Good for YOU!
Those fancy RV's have rotating sat dishes and folks watch as they travel. Isn't life great. Have DTV on the road and in the home :)
-- Oren
"I didnt say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."