Speaking of satellite converter boxes.....

I tried one of those RF remote extenders once. It was crap. The Radio Shack pyramid transmitter/receiver setup is the best way to go to control a tuner box from another room.

Terry

Terry wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No,you have to have a tuner box for each chammel you want to watch(at the same time);you can have a number of tuner boxes feeding your own little "cable" system to all your TVs. That's how my local sports bar feeds their

30 TVs with only 10 converter boxes.Each TV has a choice of 10 channels.

In that same sports bar,two adjacent TVs getting the same channel from different converter boxes often are out of synch by a noticeable amount.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Terry wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Not what he was referring to;I think he was referring to RF box controllers(an RF channel clicker!),not RF transmitter/receiver to wireless-connect the box to a TV.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

no the dish 322, 522, 625 and some others are dual tuner outputting 2 different channels at the same time, provided you keep a phone line connected the 2 tuner box has NO 2nd tuner fee

although you can match satellite boxes with stand alone DVRs like TIVO the intergrated 2 output boxes are way better and easy to use.

We have 625s that are gettng upgraded for free to go from 100 hour recordings to 150 hour capacity at no extra charge

dish tried a VOD service but it was never popular. so subs get more recording time

Reply to
hallerb

  1. It isn't. I've had both the Radio Shack and X10 versions, they're BOTH crap.
  2. These are intended for operating IR-controlled equipment from a distance. They will NOT work for RF-controlled equipment.
Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I have a similar setup, although not that extensive. I put whatever (DirecTV, etc...) channel I want on 70 and can then tune any TV to channel 70 to watch it. A second receiver (to allow watching different a channel at the same time) uses72. Then I have a security camera (at the front door) on channel 74. RF remote controls with a RF-to-IR translator (NOT those highly unreliable "pyramids") solve the control problem.

I have had "multi room viewing" long before ReplayTV or TiVo offered such a thing. In fact when I got up this morning I started watching a show in my bedroom, and am continuing to watch if from the computer room. After finishing with the usenet-reading, I'll watch the rest of that show in the living room.

ALL of my DirecTV receivers (2 RCA DRD420RE and a HR10-250) are in the same place. The DVD player is there too.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I guess you've never considered having ONE receiver (one receiver for each channel you watch or record at the same time) and distributing the output to all the TVs.

Yes, particularly an extra tuner you don't really need. Any tuner will lower the quality of what you get.

It takes a long time for an EM signal to travel 50,000 miles., and it has to go about that far to get to he satellite and back. For that reason, any service requiring fast interaction (like action games) won't work well with satellite.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Which really shows just how poorly the one box per room design is. 4 TVs is not an uncommon thing. Paying rent to the satellite company for 4 is. It is a very unfair charge.

The unscrambling design could have been done on the incoming signal before splitting it to the rooms. It was a conscious decision on the part of the satellite company to charge more. Most people don't pay extra and are inconvenienced by having to watch the same show in more than one room. The tuner and the remote control for the TV are useless.

It is the main reason I am still using Cable.

Reply to
Terry

Clearly you have a very poor understanding of how the Satellite systems work and more importantly how the descrambler works. I sure don't think you would be willing to pay the price of a descrambler that would have to descramble all the signals for hundreds of channels and post them on different frequencies on your internal wiring.

Reply to
BobR

Yes, it most definately is and you lame defense proves it. I would put your argument in the same category as claiming Rape is ok because the victim still has her pussy. You are stealing something that does not belong to you. Theft of service is no different than any other from of stealing.

Reply to
BobR

I just love the old tried and proven but remains stupid as ever argument that somehow my sin is the lesser sin so therefore it should be excused. BOTH are wrong and both deserve to be treated as wrong. You can not excuse your act based on anothers act no matter how hard you might try. WRONG is WRONG!

Reply to
BobR
[snip]

Descrambling multiple channels simultaneously requires equipment per channel. The number of channels available is normally much greater than the number of channels being watched at any one time. Unscrambling all channels as they enter the house would therefore be much more expensive.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

It is NOT theft of service, or theft of any kind no matter what the businesses and business-controlled government say.

Of course this is in no way calling it good or acceptable.

Hope that brain regrows someday ...

Reply to
Gary H

To make Bob and Mark's explanation a bit clearer.

Each 'unscrambler' can only do one channel at a time. You tune to channel 24, 24 is all that is unscrambled. You want just one box, no problem but every tv in the house would have to watch the same channel.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Of course you could have an (expensive) stack of 40 unscramblers, each set to a different channel, connected to an RF modulator operating on a different channel, and combine their outputs. Then you could watch any of those 40 channels on any TV at the same time without additional unscramblers.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Yes, it is theft and all the denial in the world will not change it. You are taking something that does not belong to you without compensation to the person or persons who own the rights to the product / service. Those companies have invested huge sums of money to provide that service and must pay to receive the content for distribution. The only way they can continue to provide the service is if people pay for that service.

Reply to
BobR
[snip]

I am NOT "denying" anything. I just never accepted that garbage. It's simply not the same thing as theft.

And NOT DEPRIVING THEM of something they had. That is what "theft" is. If you believe otherwise, you could try to explain. If it's my money, what the **** are they doing with it in the first place!

True. Note that I IN NO WAY said it wasn't wrong as you seem to be assuming.

Reply to
Gary H

Thief is wrong. I also happen to think lying is wrong.

When the RIAA and others talk about "pirates" the tell us they lost xxx,xxx,xxx money last year due to unauthorized copying.

I would really like see the creative math they use to come up the number.

I bought Dark Side of the Moon at least 3 times. I paid my royalties each time. I also paid for the media. I figure I should get a refund from the other two royalties and I should be allowed to download "Money" as often as I please.

Reply to
Terry