Speaking of satellite converter boxes.....

Page 2 of 3  
Terry wrote:

This is how we get around the NFL "blackout" rule.
Our Direct TV is registered at our camp well outside the 100 mile radius(there are dishes at both home & the cabin).
Works like a charm.
Rob
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
providers call and ask for unique numbers from each box they change by satellite, if you cant walk around your home and give them numbers from each box you get shut down.
doing thisa is the same as going in a store and stealing merchandise
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 06:21:06 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Definitely not!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 06:21:06 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

No it is not. If you steal something from a store then the store no longer has it.
It is NOT the same thing.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Right. Is it even something wrong?
1. You paid (the sat company) to see the game. Didn't you?
2. The sat signal is already available both places. The losses experienced by the provider are not affected by WHERE you are when you watch the game.
I think that idea of it being "stealing" is corporate propaganda, repeated by people who haven't really thought about it themselves.
Some people are going to be saying something like "your local stadium lost a ticket sale because of it". Then what the [expletive deleted] are they doing with YOUR money, so as to be able to lose it.
--
71 days until the winter solstice celebration

Mark Lloyd
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 14:28:49 -0500, Mark Lloyd

The RIAA is going after people making copies of mp3's while 2 million people are crossing the border illegally each year. It boggles my little mind.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

No,because you may not have gone to the game anyways;didn't want to deal with the traffic and crowds.(besides the tickets being overpriced,and good seats already taken by corporations)

there's BIG MONEY in having illegal immigration,for some..... makes MP3 file-sharing peanuts.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I just love the old tried and proven but remains stupid as ever argument that somehow my sin is the lesser sin so therefore it should be excused. BOTH are wrong and both deserve to be treated as wrong. You can not excuse your act based on anothers act no matter how hard you might try. WRONG is WRONG!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yes, it most definately is and you lame defense proves it. I would put your argument in the same category as claiming Rape is ok because the victim still has her pussy. You are stealing something that does not belong to you. Theft of service is no different than any other from of stealing.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

It is NOT theft of service, or theft of any kind no matter what the businesses and business-controlled government say.
Of course this is in no way calling it good or acceptable.
Hope that brain regrows someday ...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yes, it is theft and all the denial in the world will not change it. You are taking something that does not belong to you without compensation to the person or persons who own the rights to the product / service. Those companies have invested huge sums of money to provide that service and must pay to receive the content for distribution. The only way they can continue to provide the service is if people pay for that service.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 17:33:12 -0800 (PST), BobR
[snip]

I am NOT "denying" anything. I just never accepted that garbage. It's simply not the same thing as theft.

And NOT DEPRIVING THEM of something they had. That is what "theft" is. If you believe otherwise, you could try to explain. If it's my money, what the **** are they doing with it in the first place!

True. Note that I IN NO WAY said it wasn't wrong as you seem to be assuming.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Thief is wrong. I also happen to think lying is wrong.
When the RIAA and others talk about "pirates" the tell us they lost xxx,xxx,xxx money last year due to unauthorized copying.
I would really like see the creative math they use to come up the number.
I bought Dark Side of the Moon at least 3 times. I paid my royalties each time. I also paid for the media. I figure I should get a refund from the other two royalties and I should be allowed to download "Money" as often as I please.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Bullshit. In 15 years with DirecTV they have never called for any reason. On the few occasions I've needed to call them we discussed the offending receiver and none of the others were even mentioned.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:19:57 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

Once they asked me for a card number (to be sure we were talking about the same receiver). There was no mention of a phone connection. Those receivers were just a couple of feet apart, but they could have been hundreds* of miles apart (and I wrote the card numbers down here) and they'd never know.
&&&
* - that could been thousands, but I did call about a problem with (spot beam) local channels.
--
71 days until the winter solstice celebration

Mark Lloyd
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:19:57 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

Bull Malarkey. Wasn't the smart card just brought to market in 1999?
From '99 - ' 01 hackers had the upper hand on DTV. Why would a hacker of digital signal, even be talking to DTV? It certainly would not be because the receivers still in the market were hackable. The reason DTV asked for the information and numbers.
DTV launched an electronic counter measure (ECM): known as Black Sunday ( Super Bowl '01) They fought hackers, until Rupert Murdodck bought the mess.
Yes, they did ask for receiver and card numbers during the War!
"It turned all these cards into ice scrapers," says a California pirate.
http://www.securityfocus.com/news/143
-- Oren
"If things get any worse, I'll have to ask you to stop helping me."
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Oren wrote:

Who said anything about hacking? I don't hack nor did I hack back in the day. Every now and then there'd be a reason to call them... say, the locals dropped off a set for some reason. I'd call and they'd do whatever they do to get it working again. We never talked about any of the other sets. Nor were any of the sets plugged into a phone line. They're still not.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 04:16:52 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

My comment was directed: that yes, the provider of digital satellite would dicuss various units with the customers. HallerB's comment (cut out) was not bullshit
-- Oren
"Well, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens constantly."
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Oren wrote:

It appears he's talking about his experience with Dish Network while I am referring to mine with DirecTV.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 01:35:01 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

I have DirecTV, and have never had that. They did ask for a card number, but that I had called them about a problem.
I wouldn't feel right about providing information to an unknown company either. Them shutting down my receivers would be a reason to leave that provider.
--
69 days until the winter solstice celebration

Mark Lloyd
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.