Speaking of satellite converter boxes.....

I have a friend that is splitting his subscription 3 ways.

Direct TV is furnishing him the full package. It runs around 110$ a month last time we talked about it. Plus he pays $5x3 for the extra boxes.

He has 2 of the boxes in his house and one at his parents house and one at his wife's parents house. 3 families split 125 and get everything.

Reply to
Terry

What, the three mobile homes are on the same lot?

lee

Reply to
lee h

Terry wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Clever! But,I wonder if he could be prosecuted for cable signal fraud? That usage may be contrary to the subscription agreement. (with possible BIG fines) Wouldn't DirectTV notice that 2 of their boxes are on different phone lines?

Heck,they might even monitor UseNet newsgroups for this sort of info.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

DirecTV DOES allow you to split the subscription if you have a home and a vacation home. But I think what is described by the OP is probably fraudulent.

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

There is no requirement for DirecTV to be on a phone line for normal operations. None of ours have been since they were activated. As far as that goes, what's to stop someone from bringing all the receivers to the subscriber's house to get activated, then carrying them back to their ultimate home? DirecTV can't tell where the signal goes, since it goes everywhere anyway.

Would this be fraudulent? Hell, yes. The chances of getting caught are nil but if you do I'd imagine it'd be your ass.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

What exactly is your point?

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in news:s_WdnRwmbr7ZEo3anZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Yes,I knew that,but if you want any PPV channels,you do.

maybe they'll put GPS chips inside the boxes..... ;-(

BTW,wouldn't the other two homes also have to buy their own dishes and LNBs? IIRC,one LNB can drive up to 4 converter boxes.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

My friend said that all 3 homes subscribed to Direct TV for a year. This gave them all the hardware and installation free.

After the year, one of them had Direct TV install 3 more boxes in the single home and added all the channels. This gave one subscriber 4 boxes with every channel.

The other two dropped their service and used 2 of the 4 boxes.

Reply to
Terry

This is old news to satellite providers. Satellite TV companies do unannounced phone audits of customers with multiple boxes; if you don't respond to the audit they shut down your service; if you can't provide data on all of your boxes they can (will!) stop service to the suspect units -- and you'll never get them back onto the same base plan again.

Sounds like a good way to start up intra-family squabbles.

Reply to
JimR

DTV can do an instant binary edit/write to the card, but not without a phone line connected. IIRC.

Up to the death of HU cards and the early P5 card a Satellite had no beariing on an "audit".

-- Oren

Oren

No you don't. Use the website.

There is no such limit. I've seen multiswitches that handle 16 receivers. These can be cascaded for even more.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

They can download anything they want into your DTV rx via the sat link. I haven't had mine hooked up to a phone in years. The DTV version of Tivo gets all updates from the sat. Back when a friend was pirating DTV his cards to the hit without a landline hooked up.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I've had 2 receivers for at least 4 years. They were never connected to a phoneline during that time, and have had no problems.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I've had DTV for 10 years and never hooked up to phone line after the first year. Nearby lighting strikes roasted the modem in the receiver so I never bothered to connect the phone line after that. Never been phone audited and order ppv through their web sight. What is the phone audit all about anyway, are you saying you get a call from DTV wanting s/n's from your receivers?

Reply to
Jeff Dieterle

This is how we get around the NFL "blackout" rule.

Our Direct TV is registered at our camp well outside the 100 mile radius(there are dishes at both home & the cabin).

Works like a charm.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

providers call and ask for unique numbers from each box they change by satellite, if you cant walk around your home and give them numbers from each box you get shut down.

doing thisa is the same as going in a store and stealing merchandise

Reply to
hallerb

Definitely not!

Reply to
Sam E

No it is not. If you steal something from a store then the store no longer has it.

It is NOT the same thing.

Reply to
Terry

Bullshit. In 15 years with DirecTV they have never called for any reason. On the few occasions I've needed to call them we discussed the offending receiver and none of the others were even mentioned.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Right. Is it even something wrong?

  1. You paid (the sat company) to see the game. Didn't you?

  1. The sat signal is already available both places. The losses experienced by the provider are not affected by WHERE you are when you watch the game.

I think that idea of it being "stealing" is corporate propaganda, repeated by people who haven't really thought about it themselves.

Some people are going to be saying something like "your local stadium lost a ticket sale because of it". Then what the [expletive deleted] are they doing with YOUR money, so as to be able to lose it.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd