Speaking of satellite converter boxes.....

Page 1 of 3
I have a friend that is splitting his subscription 3 ways.
Direct TV is furnishing him the full package. It runs around 110$ a month last time we talked about it. Plus he pays $5x3 for the extra boxes.
He has 2 of the boxes in his house and one at his parents house and one at his wife's parents house. 3 families split 125 and get everything.
Terry wrote:

What, the three mobile homes are on the same lot?
lee

Clever! But,I wonder if he could be prosecuted for cable signal fraud? That usage may be contrary to the subscription agreement. (with possible BIG fines) Wouldn't DirectTV notice that 2 of their boxes are on different phone lines?
Heck,they might even monitor UseNet newsgroups for this sort of info.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

There is no requirement for DirecTV to be on a phone line for normal operations. None of ours have been since they were activated. As far as that goes, what's to stop someone from bringing all the receivers to the subscriber's house to get activated, then carrying them back to their ultimate home? DirecTV can't tell where the signal goes, since it goes everywhere anyway.
Would this be fraudulent? Hell, yes. The chances of getting caught are nil but if you do I'd imagine it'd be your ass.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Yes,I knew that,but if you want any PPV channels,you do.

maybe they'll put GPS chips inside the boxes..... ;-(
BTW,wouldn't the other two homes also have to buy their own dishes and LNBs? IIRC,one LNB can drive up to 4 converter boxes.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

My friend said that all 3 homes subscribed to Direct TV for a year. This gave them all the hardware and installation free.
After the year, one of them had Direct TV install 3 more boxes in the single home and added all the channels. This gave one subscriber 4 boxes with every channel.
The other two dropped their service and used 2 of the 4 boxes.

No you don't. Use the website.

There is no such limit. I've seen multiswitches that handle 16 receivers. These can be cascaded for even more.

Mark Lloyd
Terry wrote:

DirecTV DOES allow you to split the subscription if you have a home and a vacation home. But I think what is described by the OP is probably fraudulent.
--Steve

What exactly is your point?

unannounced phone audits of customers with multiple boxes; if you don't respond to the audit they shut down your service; if you can't provide data on all of your boxes they can (will!) stop service to the suspect units -- and you'll never get them back onto the same base plan again.
Sounds like a good way to start up intra-family squabbles.

DTV can do an instant binary edit/write to the card, but not without a phone line connected. IIRC.
Up to the death of HU cards and the early P5 card a Satellite had no beariing on an "audit".
-- Oren
On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 17:10:53 -0700, Oren wrote:

They can download anything they want into your DTV rx via the sat link. I haven't had mine hooked up to a phone in years. The DTV version of Tivo gets all updates from the sat. Back when a friend was pirating DTV his cards to the hit without a landline hooked up.

I've had 2 receivers for at least 4 years. They were never connected to a phoneline during that time, and have had no problems.

Mark Lloyd
I've had DTV for 10 years and never hooked up to phone line after the first year. Nearby lighting strikes roasted the modem in the receiver so I never bothered to connect the phone line after that. Never been phone audited and order ppv through their web sight. What is the phone audit all about anyway, are you saying you get a call from DTV wanting s/n's from your receivers?

[snip]

about two months after installation we got a call auditing our use of the receivers, asking for a couple of code numbers out of the software for each receiver. This required going to each room, turning on the system and getting setup info on the screen. Being careful and not sure who was actually calling, I wouldn't answer their questions and asked for their phone number. Then I called Dish TV (my provider) but their customer service wasn't aware of what was happening (so I didn't return the auditer's phone call). Two days later my satellite service was shut off, even though I was paid up. I called CS again, they transferred me to the audit company, and we went through our system receiver by receiver. They told me at the time that they would shut down any receivers that couldn't be audited and would start charging a monthly fee to have them reinstated. Within an hour of the end of the audit satellite service was restored.
The audit was not particularly friendly (I won't go into details, but they appeared to be starting from the position that I was cheating on them by having receivers spread out in several houses.) There have been a few times when I have seriously considered terminating the Dish TV service, and this was one of those time. If I hadn't had a lot of my money already tied up by purchasing the Dish receivers, I probably would have moved to Direct TV at that time. I did make a formal complaint to Dish TV Customer Service about this procedure, and it hasn't happened to me since.
It may be that if you only have two receivers you're a less visible target -- certainly someone with four receivers is in the top few % of their business and anyone trying to get away with having receivers in multiple houses is likely to have four or more receivers, so we were an obvious target --

Which really shows just how poorly the one box per room design is. 4 TVs is not an uncommon thing. Paying rent to the satellite company for 4 is. It is a very unfair charge.
The unscrambling design could have been done on the incoming signal before splitting it to the rooms. It was a conscious decision on the part of the satellite company to charge more. Most people don't pay extra and are inconvenienced by having to watch the same show in more than one room. The tuner and the remote control for the TV are useless.
It is the main reason I am still using Cable.

Clearly you have a very poor understanding of how the Satellite systems work and more importantly how the descrambler works. I sure don't think you would be willing to pay the price of a descrambler that would have to descramble all the signals for hundreds of channels and post them on different frequencies on your internal wiring.
[snip]

Descrambling multiple channels simultaneously requires equipment per channel. The number of channels available is normally much greater than the number of channels being watched at any one time. Unscrambling all channels as they enter the house would therefore be much more expensive.

Mark Lloyd

To make Bob and Mark's explanation a bit clearer.
Each 'unscrambler' can only do one channel at a time. You tune to channel 24, 24 is all that is unscrambled. You want just one box, no problem but every tv in the house would have to watch the same channel.
Harry K
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 19:18:07 -0800 (PST), Harry K

Of course you could have an (expensive) stack of 40 unscramblers, each set to a different channel, connected to an RF modulator operating on a different channel, and combine their outputs. Then you could watch any of those 40 channels on any TV at the same time without additional unscramblers.

Mark Lloyd