Speaking of Craftsman Tools....

Page 1 of 2
Of all the tools I lost, I miss my sly slip-joint pliers the most. It was my fall-back-do-almost-anything tool. So I'm in Sears with my gift cards and look for it. This looks to be the same jaw and handle type. I especially like the teeth setup.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00945379000P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5
Only thing is there's no rivet/nut holding it together. Looks like the side-cutter lineman's setup. Didn't handle it at all because I walked away from it looking for the "original," and then we had to leave. This is all I see on-line and it looks like my old pliers are gone. Anybody use this slip-joint setup? Seems a slip-joint shouldn't be tight and have to be oiled. I don't know the technical term for the way this is held together.
--Vic

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00945379000P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5
That page don't work cuz I disable cookies. Screw 'em.
nb
--
vi --the root of evil

Mozilla is driving me crazy. I changed from FF to Seamonkey (SM), which is a fork and more like the old Netscape, cuz FF removed some granular controls with respect to cookies and such. Now, the newer version of SM has removed some cookie user controls it once had. I wish these damn developers would stop developing for development's sake and jes leave well enough alone. Seems all the Mozilla browsers are getting worse instead of better.
nb
--
vi --the root of evil

On 1/8/2012 11:01 AM, notbob wrote:

Considering that they are free (Tbird + FF or SM) they are pretty good. But in general I agree with you, I think they are just getting too many add-on gadgets for any one or even a large group of programmers to get a handle on. Fix the bugs then instead of adding new ones.
John
On 1/8/2012 8:20 AM, John wrote:

i have found chrome to be quite satisfactory.
--
Steve Barker

Which is why I'm still using MickeySoft IE8

IE9 won't run on old faithfull - Windows XP
On 1/8/2012 6:00 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

One of the web browsers I have loaded on my WinXP system is Comodo Dragon. It's an implementation of Chrome similar to SRWare Iron and like Iron, Dragon removes the phone home crap that's in Chrome. It also allows for extra security by running all traffic through Comodo's own DNS servers and the browser also has a built in site inspector.
TDD
Won't run OE, either.

IE9 won't run on old faithfull - Windows XP
On 1/8/2012 8:59 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yet you will run this top posting virus magnet:
On 1/8/2012 8:59 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote: **

Won't run OE, either. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
LOL, John
On 1/8/2012 2:17 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Browser only and FireFox is just as good, better in my opinion. The suckiness creeps in for usenet and email clients. M$ doesn't (and never did) have anything worth using. Tbird and SeaMonkey are buggy with the latter just plain ugly. Pan is excellent for newsgroups but as of now 32 bit only on the Windows side and email is a non-starter. It makes you appreciate the early days when Netscape Navigator did it all very well all in one neat small package.
John
On 1/8/2012 9:24 AM, Vic Smith wrote:

..
CEE-TEE; none better for general use...afaik still same altho haven't had to buy a new pair in years...
<http://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/6-in-cee-tee--pliers/ctl16754/cp58521/si5182443/cl1/
On 1/8/2012 8:04 AM, dpb wrote:

<http://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/6-in-cee-tee--pliers/ctl16754/cp58521/si5182443/cl1/
you'll also find AMERICAN made slip joint pliers at the john deere store. With the jd name on the. also, no yuppified plastic handle covers and no chrome to peel off and cut you. Just a good ol' fashioned pair of pocket pliers you can use. 6 and 8 inch.
--
Steve Barker
On 1/8/2012 12:38 PM, Armand Avi wrote:

I have a lot of Green but rarely buy such things as hand tools, etc., there--they're simply too proud of most to be first choice. Just looked and the 6" pliers are double the cost of the CeeTee which are also made in USA afaik, still.
And, just because it is JD-branded doesn't _necessarily_ mean it isn't imported/made by another company for JD. This is particularly true for the smaller products. Even the utility tractors are mostly imports; the 955 I have has Yanmar 3-cyl diesel engine.
Don't get me wrong; I like US-made but the green paint premium is just too much for my pocketbook to take for many ordinary things such as hand tools.
On 1/8/2012 11:30 AM, dpb wrote:

i agree on most that. I have a '41 hand start model A, I'm pretty sure it's all American. The '74 110 lawn tractor we have has Jap parts in it. <sigh> But the pliers are all American. Who sells the "ceetee" pliers?
--
Steve Barker
On 1/8/2012 2:11 PM, dpb wrote:

"C-T" <"Cee-Tee"> "Crescent Tools" -- clever, huh? :)
On 1/8/2012 1:55 PM, dpb wrote:

i get it now. i'm a bit slow. (and only read about every third word usually) LOL!
--
Steve Barker
On 1/8/2012 3:44 PM, Steve Barker wrote: ...

Certainly anything before the war was US-built; it's after the 50s/60s that the cost structure began to shift drastically.
I have a mid-'60s 112; afaik it's all US--it has the Tecumseh engine.
The mid-80s rider has the Kawasaki; the early 70s (guessing, Dad got it while I was off in VA/TN before coming back and I've not looked it up to see just when it was bought) S92 rider is also all US w/ the B&S.
As noted, the utility tractor, a mid-90s 990 is typical of the genre available from any of the name line ag folks whether Case-IH red, NH blue or JD green. They're all a combination of various Japanese, Korean, etc., etc., etc., pieces-parts that may or may not be partially assembled in NA. They're basically no different than Kubota orange in pedigree.
OTOH, the field tractors from an old 4440 up are US-built and continue to be for the most part.
But, the bottom line for this thread is that all the major dealers have these lines of custom-branded products and they're all simply over-priced for almost everything. I really wonder how they sell enough to make it worth doing, truthfully. It's kinda' a double-edged sword I guess. They have to be high because don't have a lot of volume to support mass production by suppliers and the high pricing limits the size of market penetration. Unless they were to commit to subsidizing the lines for a while and try to grow the distribution, it will probably stay the way it is and I don't see that happening as being at all likely...

Except for the ones that are German . (Lanz or otherwize known as the 6000 series)