speaker wire question

Page 1 of 2
I want to put longer wires on my stereo system speakers. The speakers say 6 ohm. Longer by about 20 feet each. Will adding longer wire affect the sound? My stereo is one of those multi CD players that costs about $200.
Figured this was an on topic question, and some genius would have the right answer.
Steve

Considering the probable low output power of a consumer 'CD player', just get some #18 lamp cord (aka zip cord) for about 10 cents/foot. Maintain the same polarity as the factory setup.

It won't make your stereo sound any worse than it does now.
--
"They call it golf because all of the other four-letter words were
taken." -- Raymond Floyd
PM, wrote:

Wow. I never realized that asking a simple electronics question would bring out the elitist snobs.
This stereo is in a mountain cabin. I guess I should put in a great expensive system there, huh? So I can turn up the bass and blow my eardrums out like so many people are doing today. Either that, or destroy the silence and peace I go there to enjoy.
I worked Consumer Electronics Show a couple of years ago at the Alexis Park Hotel where they have the expensive home systems. I looked at one, and asked how much it cost. The salesman said, "$250,000".
I asked what made it so valuable. He looked both ways, and then said, "Oh, it's not worth that much. It is just that there are some people who are so stupid that they will pay that much."
Heeeeeeeeeere's yer sign.
Grow up, you friggin moron. Goes for Punch, too.
Steve

You should take your own advice also. You have assumed a certain attitude that wasn't there in the first place.
I used to have a very high-end system that I collected over years and eventually stopped listening to because I listen to AM talk radio now. I sold it all on Ebay and bought a cheap DVD entertainment system. So you see, I am not an elitist. I just have experience with expensive and cheap systems. I have added long runs of wire to my current system and it made no difference in the sound. That was my statement to you.
Cheers.
--
"You\'ve just one problem. You stand too close to the ball after you\'ve
hit it." -- Sam Snead

Really simple when you say it that way, isn't it?
Steve

Yup. Gotta have one of those too: http://tinyurl.com/274rc

Or add a wooden knob to it: http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NOB_C37_C&Category_Code=AMPS&Product_Count=2

It makes me wonder why I'm not in that buisness
SteveB wrote:

I think the sarcasm is probably generated by the outrageous advertising about the need for large size wire for speakers.
The fact is that for the average consumer system and the average person, any reasonable size wire (say 16 gauge or larger) is just fine for any reasonable length of wire (don't know what reasonable is but certainly 20 feet is reasonable). Just use ordinary lamp cord (16 gauge) and you will be fine. And yes, if you use tiny wire you will have fall of some of the frequencies, but you still would need an expensive system and a very good ear to tell the difference or not be able to adjust the system to correct the frequency fall off.
PM, wrote:

Thanks, George. What threw me was the 6 ohm rating. In my younger daze (sic), everything was 8 ohm. These speakers have tiny wires, and I figured that putting longer smaller wire on there would increase resistance. (I guess I did stay awake during some of those electronics classes.)
Figuring that this system is marginal performance at best, I just wanted to know what would be the best way to run the speakers way up the walls of the cabin to fill it all with sound, but not make a problem that would take a day of long tall ladders to redo.
Thanks for all who supplied useful pertinent information.
STeve
The 6-ohm rating is the resistance of the speaker. Adding resistance to the circuit by adding wire will change the sound in that you'll have to turn up the volume slightly to get the same volume out of the speaker. Too small of a wire will also start to cut out some of the lowest frequencies (as was already stated), but the added resistance will help your amp run cooler if that's any consolation.
PM, wrote:

one,
who
20
will
the
good
correct
figured
the
SteveB wrote:

You may use anything longer than it is wide and made of metal without affecting the sound. Barbed wire, coathangers, soldered-together razor blades, model railroad tracks, dog leash, clothesline, Christmas tree lights, anything.
Any COPPER wire should do the job. For a more professional look you can coat the ends with solder. It also makes stranded wiring less of a hassle.
--
ebackhus

Old houses have fuses! My house is old!

Not just any copper wire, it has to be oxygen free according to some advertisements. (I though all copper wire was oxygen free???) Oh, it also has to be expensive. VERY expensive.

also
LOL You should also make sure it was not tested on animals, and is low in saturated fats.
AMUN
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

With nitrogen charged insulation.
Actually, all copper wire has some oxygen in it. Just the melting process to make copper rod (the precursor to wire) gets O2 in it. The trick is to make it as low as possible. If O2 levels get too high in the copper rod, when the rod is drawn into wire, it will break. Sarcasm on: And of course, copper wire with a minimum of O2 will sound better.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Oxygen free speaker wire is great! In fact, I use it for all my table lamps now. Makes the light purer and whiter. ;-)
JustDave
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info