Sparks Inside Outlet Box!?

Page 2 of 2
(If only I knew who Poop was)
In any event, I have discovered a close relative has a friend who does electrical work. He is coming by to look at it. If I am lucky, they can find the cause and not charge me a grand for doing so. I know computers, but I don't know electrical and half a room going dead with no breakers flipped leaved me clueless. I wouldn't dare mess with this unless I know what I was doing.. so we'll wait for a professional.

and
you
No, without actually seeing it in real life you certainly don't "know". It may be a perfectly good plug on the end of that wire. The socket's grip on it might also be perfect. It might be the connections made to the side of the outlet. It might also be badly crimped or aluminum wires inside the junction box. But without actually SEEING it you're just guessing. And a guess when it's electrical is a BAD IDEA.
Pop wrote:

More crappy advice from Poop. See Turtle's response you cranial invalid.
-- Pop aint shit, he's just Poop

You NEED to shut it down. Could be a loose wire or bad receptacle, but sparks are never a good thing. Get someone to look at it that knows what they are doing or it could result in a fire if used.
I agree with what others have said.
However, it "probably" will be quick and easy to fix; so don't put it off because you are afraid of it.
I would also have the other circuits checked; if one has gone bad, others might not be far behind. Depending on the size of your house it shouldn't take more than a couple hours and a few new outlets.
Ryan wrote:
....snip...tale of sparky...
So, what did your friendly electrician find out?