Spackling vs. Wood Filler

I need to smooth out lots of screw holes and various dings in some plywood shelving. I was going to use wood filler putty but it seems so hard to work with, not very smooth, kind of dry, crumbly, difficult to spread. So I notice all these different spackling varieties at the HD--"crack shot", "vinyl spackling", "fast and final" etc. They all list wood as an acceptable substance, although I have always thought of spackling in terms of repairing drywall dings. The spacking seems to spread on much more easily than the wood filler.
So, what's the best product to use for filling lots of holes in some wood that will be sanded & painted (oil based paint)? Will the spacking perform well, or is there some reason to stick with the wood filler stuff? I was using Elmer's wood filler.
Thanks, Chris
Drywall products will be much easier to use (go on quick, sand really easy, etc.), but they are not very hard/durable. They also shrink alot (if you have a big or deep dent). If your shelf gets dinged up now, it will be even worse with spackling. Just add a tiny bit of water to the wood filler. Or just spit in it. Really. And don't fuss -- just put it on and sand it when dry.
-Kevin
Chris wrote:

where are you from???country

Kevin is right on all points. Listen to him.

I'm sure Kevin's advice is good, and I'm not saying not to use wood filler, which sounds like it would be the right thing.
But I have to tell my story about spackle.
Bought a new vinyl roll floor for my apartment, then went home to take up the old floor, before they installed the new one the next day. Found some holes or uneven spots underneath it, and stores were closed and didn't have anything else so I filled them with spackle. I'm sure I stepped on these spots many times, but it seemed fine for the 8 remaining years I lived there.
It may be of course that the spackle crumbled into powder and the powder filled up the hole as well as something solid would. Never looked under it again.

mm wrote:

Thanks! This is just some kind of Kevin love fest thread today!

Previous owner in our house did the same.

Ours seemed to last fine too. When I replaced ours (due to water damage, not bumpiness), the spackling indeed had crumbled and cracked quite a bit. Not enough that I could tell through the vinyl flooring (so I guess it doesn't matter in that case), but certainly not something I would have wanted visible. I used floor leveling compound when I replaced, just to be anal.
-Kevin