Space heater fans

Anyone figured out how to keep the space heater fan motors working? In my experience, they get annoyingly noisey and sometimes even die long before the heating element burns out. I've tried oiling them every year but it doesn't seem to matter - I suspect the bearings are sealed. Besides, some require major disassembly of the heater housing to get at. My nice Holmes heater started getting noisey a week or so. I'll get tired of listening to it and replace it soon.
Suggestions?
TIA

On 01/08/2014 10:15 AM, KenK wrote:

My "cheapie" heater has been working with no problems but sometimes it's just a matter of loose bolts holding the laminations together.
On 1/8/2014 11:15 AM, KenK wrote:

The type of oil makes a big difference. Zoom spout turbine oil, ND-30 or the two stroke oil you mix for your chainsaw. Those work reason- ably well.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Most of the ones I have used keep working for a long time. Most of the ones I have used start out real slow. I oil practically all fans with a telescoping spout.
My garage fan, 4800 watts, starts out extra slow, especially when colder. The overheat switch starts to cycle until the fan comes up to speed. Could take a few minutes.
Hate fans.
I also have 1800 watt radiant years for the garage. I bought them real cheap, end of season, the home depot.
I have the most faith in oil filled heaters. No fan, no radiant fire.
Greg

The last few years I've used one in my bedroom. But this year for some reason it doesn't seem to be doing the job, even on High. Previously I only needed Medium level. As far as I can recall, outside temps about the same - upper 60s, lower 70s. (SW AZ) No furnace inside - just heaters. Maybe it's more or less humid this year. Or do the oil-filled lose heating power after several years? Had to switch to a fan heater and even it's taking a long time to heat the room. Or maybe my body's thermostat has changed.<g>
TIA

You should be able to monitor it. Is it cycling. Those thermostats are problematic, especially on high. The contacts wear, settings change or fail. Best not to use thermostat and just use low med or high, thermostat on full. The fins on high get up to around 250 degrees.
Greg

Since it doesn't make any noise it's hard to tell.

That's what I've been doing.

Do you live alone, what does the other occupant(s) say about the temps?

Yes
what does the other occupant(s) say about the temps?

Completely satisfied with the product AND its repairability bought more than 4 Markels. Don't like the fan, but like the 'glowing' warmth. Room can be 'ice cold' but you still feel warm.
Also have 3 'french' brand oil radiators - best for quiet. However one sprung a leak, what a mess!
RobertMacy wrote:

Hi, There is fanless heater too. You get what you pay for.

I have heard of that. Had to quickly buy 2 for an emergency recently. I don't like the two wire models. Should be grounded.
if the oil slowly leaks out, I wonder at which point the rod may glow ?
Greg