space heater

I purchased a 1500 watt oscillating space heater and it does not seem strong enough. Can anyone recommend a more powerful electric space heater? The stronger heaters that I saw used kerosene or gas but I would like to stay away from this if possible. I am trying to heat a 15x20 size room that contains a stairway.

The one that is to weak is the, "Airtech 1500 watt Tower Ceramic Heater", from Sears.

Bob

No matter what brand or style, 1500 watts is 1500 watts and the maximum for a single circuit. The are also expensive to operate. 1500 watts is about

5000 Btu. Most small propane heaters are 30,000 Btu. You need to look at better ideas. Not knowing the setting here, or the temperatures required, I can't say what is best. Space heaters evidently will not get what you want.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Good post Edwin

To the OP - to help contain the heat downstairs you could add a curtian at the top of the stairs. Still that space heater is a bit small for that room. Can you add a gas fireplace? I know its a lot more $$$ to install but will be cheaper to operate. If asthetics is not an issue and you application and circumstances would alllow you could add an unvented propane or natural gas heater that mounts to the wall.

I have one from Charmglow in a cottage. Here is a model that looks like a wood stove and will heat that spice very nicely. Its LP so you could use a gas bottle from your BBQ grill. Just a small hole to outside where you place the tank.

Search the HD site for Charmglow to get other options.

Reply to
No

This is the one I have

No

All 1500W space heaters offer the same amount of heat. 1500W is about all most circuits can handle without problems so that is the usual max size offered. Higher wattage units are available but they are generally intended for dedicated and or 240V circuits.

Tell us more about what you are using it for and what energy sources may be available. It is one thing if you have a cold bath room that you only use occasionally and another if you are trying to heat your whole house or garage.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I live by myself in a 3 floor house with 3 bedrooms and large basement. I spend 90% of my time in the living room so i was looking for something to heat that room instead of firing up the heater to heat the entire house. I though that may be an electric heater would do what i need. It looks like I will have to go gas if I want to do this. I do have gas coming in to the house so hooking it up won't be a major problem.

Reply to
Bob

Yes I would go for a gas space heater. I would suggest trying for a vented one for safety, although installation may be more of a problem.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

There are many good gas heaters from simple to fancy. One caution though, keep the rest of the house warm enough to prevent freezing of the plumbing and heating lines.

Take a look at

for nice stoves.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I have an Empire Direct Vent Heater, 15,000 BTU. Vents easily with a 5 inch hole through the wall. It takes it's air supply from outside and vents exhaust gases to the outside. An optional blower can be added. I did and it improved the efficiency and comfort. In the event of a power outage, it'll work without the blower. The flame on a bi-metal strip generates enough voltage for a milliamp thermostat 10 feet away on the wall. The heaters aren't the most decorative things in the world, but they function well.

Bob

Reply to
Robertm