Spa Pump Starting Automatically

I have an Indoor Spa Pump that when left on after using the Spa will start automatically/of its own accord. It normally takes about 15-20 minutes after the last use of the pump and if you don't get to the power in time to turn it off runs for approx 1 minute. Has anyone come across a similar issue?

Reply to
nbanner

It's totally unclear what you are talking about. If the pump is left on, then it's already running, isn't it?

Reply to
trader4

I know hot tub pumps will come on periodically to circulate the water when the heater is trying to maintain temperature....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

What happens is that when I am finished with the spa and turn the jets off at the spa and drain the water, the spa is finished with for the night . Approx 15 - 20 minutes later one of the pumps sparks into life again for no apparent reason.

The only way to stop it is to turn it off at the power, that is what I meant by left on. Upon re reading my original post I understand the confusion.

Reply to
nbanner

You say one of the pumps comes back on. How many pumps do you have? Most spas only have one pump for water and one blower for air. The water pump usually runs at two speeds. High speed is generally used when you are in the spa to have full pressure from the jets. Low speed is used when the heater kicks on automatically to maintain the temp when the spa isn;t being used. It can also usually be set on low manually, by pushing a button. On mine this is marked heat, though it really only puts the pump on low.

So, which is coming on? Most likely, it's the low speed pump? Does it not normally cycle to maintain temp?

Reply to
trader4

RTFM.

What you describe may be caused by two reasons I know of. (I own two spas.)

There is a timer set to filter the spa at certain times. Check the instruction sheet to see if this is kicking on.

The temperature may drop, and the unit is simply kicking back on to bring the temperature back up.

I don't know what type of spa you have. It doesn't really matter. Some have a different number of pumps, so you need to refer to your own manual. For me to tell you what to do because I do it on MY spas is dumb.

One more thing. On most spas, there is a STANDARD and ECONOMY mode. Be sure to set it to the right mode. In STANDARD, the heater will kick on any time it senses a temperature less than the one set into the keypad. In ECONOMY, it kicks on the heater only during the filter cycles. This would be advantageous if you usually use the spa at nine or ten at night, and set it to run from four to eight in the afternoon. It will be hot when you use it, but for the rest of the day, it won't be keeping the water hot 24/7. You need to watch your own spa to see how it heats water. Mine raises the temperature 5 degrees every hour. So, you would have to adjust the run time that will have it hot when you want to use it if you keep it in the ECONOMY mode. Or if you are going to use it at an odd time, you have to remember to go out and kick it on to heat it up. I just leave mine on STANDARD.

Read your manual. Turn off the breakers, and leave them off for a minute. Turn them back on. Then go to the keypad and check the settings. If you don't have the operating instructions, you can probably get them at your local shop or over the Internet.

Other than that, call the spa guy at $60 per hour.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Reply to
Gntry

snip

Sounds like a bath tub spa, if you drain the water after use. I have seen these units run the air blower after use to blow out and dry up any water left in the pipes. This somewhat prevents bacteria from forming in the standing water. Check your owner?s manual. TP

Reply to
TP

Our Jacuzzi does the same thing. In our case, it's a normal function. It's probably normal in your situation, too. It's meant to circulate the water around so bacteria and other nasties don't build up.

georgie