Spa Ground Wire

I need a second opinion. An electrician is going to be connecting my hot tub this weekend. The tub is a 240 v/50 Amp unit. He suggested that we use 3 #6 thhn wires for the hots and neutral and a #8 thhn for the ground in order to save space in the 3/4'' seal tight. Is having a smaller ground safe or is this against code? He says he has done this before in the past.

Reply to
mct400

Seems like pretty large gauge wire to me. Depending on the length of the run, of course, which you don't stipulate. Tom

Reply to
tom

The pull is about 30 feet.

I think #6 is rated for 50 amps, so that is pretty standard. Just wondering if a ground of one size smaller (than hots and neutrals) is ok.

Reply to
mct400

It's very common. A neutral wire 1 size smaller than the hots is also common. (Not enough information for me to know if either is appropriate here or not)

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

It's OK...

Reply to
Rick

It's fine, in fact the NEC requirements for the ground are only #10

Reply to
RBM

thanks guys for all the input i am more confident with this now!

Reply to
mct400

I just did this job last weekend. Lowes sells a 3 conductor #6 stranded & solid ground as a single cable; exactly what you need for this job.

Reply to
JohnH

Well, if you don't like his work, then fire him and hire another professional.

Who is the electrical expert here? You or the electrician?

Reply to
Oscar_Lives