Spa Ground Wire

I need a second opinion. An electrician is going to be connecting my hot tub this weekend. The tub is a 240 v/50 Amp unit. He suggested that we use 3 #6 thhn wires for the hots and neutral and a #8 thhn for the ground in order to save space in the 3/4'' seal tight. Is having a smaller ground safe or is this against code? He says he has done this before in the past.
Seems like pretty large gauge wire to me. Depending on the length of the run, of course, which you don't stipulate. Tom
The pull is about 30 feet.
I think #6 is rated for 50 amps, so that is pretty standard. Just wondering if a ground of one size smaller (than hots and neutrals) is ok.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It's very common. A neutral wire 1 size smaller than the hots is also common. (Not enough information for me to know if either is appropriate here or not)
Best regards, Bob

It's OK...
It's fine, in fact the NEC requirements for the ground are only #10

thanks guys for all the input i am more confident with this now!
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I just did this job last weekend. Lowes sells a 3 conductor #6 stranded & solid ground as a single cable; exactly what you need for this job.

Well, if you don't like his work, then fire him and hire another professional.
Who is the electrical expert here? You or the electrician?