Southwest lawn care??

I want a good lawn of st.augustine grass that is full of weeds and dead spots. I have cut the grass, I want to kill the weeds and feriilize the grass and prevent fire ants and other insects from harming my yard. What is the best products to use? I live in Houston, Texas where the summers average about 95 degrees.

Reply to
Alistair Smythe

Weeds have already started popping out of my St augustine grass though the grass is still dormant. I sprayed a little weed killer around to kill the plants that were already green This shouldnt hurt the St augustine if done a couple of weeks before it begins to green up. At least that s the info I got from local nursery. I'm waiting to see how it turns out. Im hoping that this will get the St augustine established well enough to choke out the rest of the weeds, onions and fescue.

Reply to
JIMMIE

We have St. Augustine in Florida. Got rid of majority of weeds using two basic herbicides, one for broadleaf and one for grassy weeds. The timing and conditions have to be right for optimum results without damaging grass. There are special broadleaf herbicides for use on S.A., and should be applied when weeds are actively growing; i.e., plenty of water, fertilizer and warmth. Should not be applied during stress (hot, dry conditions). Herbicides for grassy weeds, especially, need to be applied at exactly the right time, as they are pre-emergent. There are some weeds that are best eradicated either by hand or by brushing on Roundup. S.A. spreads fairly quick to fill in thin areas. Your local extension service probably has good info, perhaps on website. Fertilize

3-4 times/year with slow release fertilizer, don't cut too short. Water early morning 2-3 times/week.
Reply to
Norminn