Source of reasonably priced cabinet knobs and pulls?

I would like to replace the knobs and pulls on my cabinets and drawers but the local hardware stores seem SO expensive. $4.00 for one brass pull? Sheesh!

I would like decent hardware but am not sure what makes one material better than another and would appreciate some advice and comments.

Also, does anyone know of a reliable place with a decent selection I could order on the web that would be cheaper than the big chain hardware stores?

Thanks so much!

Joy

Reply to
Joy

Hi,

4.00 is epxpensive? Let's hear what should it cost then? My gosh!
Reply to
Tony Hwang

For low cost brass, you might get lucky in a ReStore (Habitat for Humanity thrift shop) or on a local freecycle group. Or use some other, less expensive material.

Una

Reply to
Una

You can try

They have some good (and expensive) stuff, but also have some economically priced lines. But if you have your heart set on solid brass, $4 is going to seem like a bargain.

HTH,

Paul Franklin

Reply to
Paul Franklin

On Tue 29 Apr 2008 07:19:52p, Joy told us...

Solid brass hardware is never cheap. I would consider $4.00 fairly inexpensive for brass. There are a lot of materials to consider, so perhaps you should look further to see what else might appeal to you.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

An excellent source but (to OP) request a catalog...much easier to flip thru pages than to browse via web.

Reply to
dadiOH

Try your local habitat for humanity re store.

Reply to
Herb and Eneva

Get whatever the Mrs. likes. If she doesn't care, get the cheapest ones you like. Then if you decide to change them 3 yrs from now it won't hurt so bad.

Great hardware & tools. Decent prices. Great service. The catalogs are coffee table books with soft covers.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Another place is Lee Valley. leevalley.com As above, asking for a catalog is a good idea. Not all items can be found on their web site.

Reply to
Boden

Thanks for the references to

and leevalley.com.

I didn't mean to infer I was looking for brass. Actually, I'm looking more for a satin nickel finish. The $4.00 reference to the brass pull was just my comment on how expensive some pulls can be.

So... anyone know about the satin nickel or brushed aluminum type finishes? I don't know what these would be made of or how the finishes are protected or hold up.

Sorry for misleading you about the brass!

Joy

Reply to
Joy

Did you try menards or hd , I went white for about 1$

Reply to
ransley

"Joy" wrote

Joy, thats not far off what they run but here's a link to budget knobs, where many are 1.75$

Reply to
cshenk

If you are talking about solid brass, $4.00 IS a very reasonable price. Solid brass or bronze will look great and will last longer than you will. Cheapie pulls and handles will be brass plated onto pot metal or plastic. These are much more prone to discoloration, and plastic ones will eventually break.

Reply to
Bill

"Bill" wrote

She came back later that she didnt mean to make it brass specific. Agreed on the plastic ones. I kinda like ceramic (though they too can break).

I have been eyeing some new ones for my kitchen too. A cheap way to spiffy up the looks. That and i need to redo the wallpaper (ancient and has patches missing due to renters).

Reply to
cshenk