Source Needed for Switch

I need a source for a duplex switch, 2x SPST, 120/240 Vac, 15Amp. Must be rated COPAL or ALR/CU (for use with aluminum wire). Home centers and internet sources I found carry only CU-rated duplex switches. Any ideas?

Bob King

Reply to
robert.e.king

Disclaimer: I am not an electrician.

A quick turn through the Leviton, Pass and Seymour/Legrand, and Hubbell catalogs don't show anything suitable, which is a reasonable clue that it may not exist. You might try a local electrical supply house - often the name will be something like "Acme Electric Supply" - to see if they have any ideas.

You might be able to install a wider box in the wall and use two single- gang CO/ALR switches, which still seem to be obtainable. If you don't want to cut into the wall, maybe you can use a wider surface-mounted box over the existing hole. Wiremold is one manufacturer of boxes like this.

You could join some short copper wires to the existing aluminum wires and use the widely-available copper-only wiring devices. There are apparently two major ways to join copper to aluminum wire - one of them has to be installed by an electrician, but is claimed to provide a much better connection.

Disclaimer: I am not an electrician.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds