source for water heater anodes?

Anyone know a place (or better yet, a hardware store chain) that carries magnesium water heater anodes? Only places I've found them were online from Rheem/Ruud (almost $100 each!) and waterheaterrescue.com. Only other ones I've found have been aluminum (which I understand does not protect the tank as well as magnesium) and/or very short, intended for RV water heaters. Oddly, there's plenty of the latter available.
I already placed an order with waterheaterrescue.com for two, but still the bill was about $130. It's almost not worth keeping an old water heater going at that price; one part fails in the next 6-7 years and I'll be kicking myself for not just buying a new heater, even though the old one is kicking out plenty of BTUs. I can get a GE 40 gal. gas heater from Home Despot for under $400; I'm sure there are better deals out there from better stores.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I saw them at Lowe's about a year ago.
Bob
Bob F wrote:

Figures. Nearest Lowe's is about 20 miles away, unless I want to drive into Alexandria :(
I never could figure out why Lowe's doesn't open a store closer to me; I live in a densely populated area served - poorly - by two Home Depots. I'd be glad to have the opportunity to switch as Lowe's has by far a better chance of carrying what I'm looking for, in my experience.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Tough decision. $65. or $400. That $400 bill sounds wonderful; better buy two for $800!
Did a quick search via google. Rods sell for $170 to $400. For ten. Unit price is $20-40.

I look at it differently. 400 bucks divided by 10 years is 40 bucks a year. Thats less than a cheap candy bar a week.
I replace the heater every 8 years or so at the time of my choice.
that after a bad experience with a leaky heater on christmas eve in a snowstorm with house guests coming.......
miserable......
this is called preventive maintence.
how many wait till their bad roof shingles cause a major leak? I think its better to care for stuff as you go along.
The hassle of removing a anode and likely causing a leak just isnt worth it!

It's not much hassle really to check an anode.. All it takes is a 1 1/8" socket with a good bar on it and can be done start to finish in 5 mins. I've been checking mine every couple years and have never had a leaking problem.. In my experience, leaks are not a problem from a plug type widget like this that gets opened every couple years. The problem comes from things that are not opened on a regular basis and then opened 10 years later.

I have no room to get a "good bar" in there and have been trying to remove the anode on mine for a month now. It feels like I need someone to hold the tank while I turn, so the tank doesn't twist and rip loose from the gas piping.
I'm glad rusted things on the 18yo car aren't this hard to get off.
--
One meter, to within 0.0125% accuracy (off by just under .005 inches):
Three feet
clifto wrote:

Try an impact wrench or torque multiplier, if you have either one.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

My water heater is firmly held to the wall with the required earthquake strap.
Bob

Nope. Seattle.
Bob
AZ Nomad wrote:

Just curious, where are you finding these? My google-fu must be weak, I can't find squat.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I'm curious too. I searched online a few years ago too and only place I found was the waterheaterrescue place too. I would check the local plumbing supply house. The Lowes suggestion is interesting. I know I looked at both HD and Lowes here in NJ and they didn't have them. Employees didn't even know what I was talking about.

Thats a surprise..
On Nov 10, 7:46 am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Must be regional. I've looked in 3 Lowes and 2 HD's in my area and none of them carry replacement anodes.
Red
Nate Nagel wrote:

how old is the existing heater?

Aluminum only http://www.waterheaterparts.net/cgi-bin/shopper.exe?keywords=anode&search tion
They sell a combo rod, but not magnesium http://www.plumbingsupply.com/hotwater.html#anoderods

magnesiumhttp://www.plumbingsupply.com/hotwater.html#anoderods- Hide quoted text -

remember solid rods that arent flexible need the cieling space for replacement.