source for water heater anodes?

Anyone know a place (or better yet, a hardware store chain) that carries magnesium water heater anodes? Only places I've found them were online from Rheem/Ruud (almost $100 each!) and waterheaterrescue.com. Only other ones I've found have been aluminum (which I understand does not protect the tank as well as magnesium) and/or very short, intended for RV water heaters. Oddly, there's plenty of the latter available.

I already placed an order with waterheaterrescue.com for two, but still the bill was about $130. It's almost not worth keeping an old water heater going at that price; one part fails in the next 6-7 years and I'll be kicking myself for not just buying a new heater, even though the old one is kicking out plenty of BTUs. I can get a GE 40 gal. gas heater from Home Despot for under $400; I'm sure there are better deals out there from better stores.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I saw them at Lowe's about a year ago.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Figures. Nearest Lowe's is about 20 miles away, unless I want to drive into Alexandria :(

I never could figure out why Lowe's doesn't open a store closer to me; I live in a densely populated area served - poorly - by two Home Depots. I'd be glad to have the opportunity to switch as Lowe's has by far a better chance of carrying what I'm looking for, in my experience.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Tough decision. $65. or $400. That $400 bill sounds wonderful; better buy two for $800!

Did a quick search via google. Rods sell for $170 to $400. For ten. Unit price is $20-40.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I look at it differently. 400 bucks divided by 10 years is 40 bucks a year. Thats less than a cheap candy bar a week.

I replace the heater every 8 years or so at the time of my choice.

that after a bad experience with a leaky heater on christmas eve in a snowstorm with house guests coming.......

miserable......

this is called preventive maintence.

how many wait till their bad roof shingles cause a major leak? I think its better to care for stuff as you go along.

The hassle of removing a anode and likely causing a leak just isnt worth it!

Reply to
hallerb

Just curious, where are you finding these? My google-fu must be weak, I can't find squat.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Our local real supply house has them. I think they are in the $25 range.

Reply to
George

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

It's not much hassle really to check an anode.. All it takes is a 1

1/8" socket with a good bar on it and can be done start to finish in 5 mins. I've been checking mine every couple years and have never had a leaking problem.. In my experience, leaks are not a problem from a plug type widget like this that gets opened every couple years. The problem comes from things that are not opened on a regular basis and then opened 10 years later.
Reply to
trader4

I'm curious too. I searched online a few years ago too and only place I found was the waterheaterrescue place too. I would check the local plumbing supply house. The Lowes suggestion is interesting. I know I looked at both HD and Lowes here in NJ and they didn't have them. Employees didn't even know what I was talking about.

Reply to
trader4

Thats a surprise..

Reply to
George

I have no room to get a "good bar" in there and have been trying to remove the anode on mine for a month now. It feels like I need someone to hold the tank while I turn, so the tank doesn't twist and rip loose from the gas piping.

I'm glad rusted things on the 18yo car aren't this hard to get off.

Reply to
clifto

Aluminum only

They sell a combo rod, but not magnesium

Abe

only

magnesium

-

remember solid rods that arent flexible need the cieling space for replacement.

Reply to
hallerb

Try an impact wrench or torque multiplier, if you have either one.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Must be regional. I've looked in 3 Lowes and 2 HD's in my area and none of them carry replacement anodes.

Red

Reply to
Red

My water heater is firmly held to the wall with the required earthquake strap.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

We can assume you are from Kalifornia. Most other states don't have a "requirement" for an "earthquake strap."

-- Herb snipped-for-privacy@herbstein.com

Reply to
Herb Stein

Nope. Seattle.