Source for a stock 6 1/2' wide R.O. Patio Door

Hi all,

We have a 26-year-old patio door that badly needs replacing. For some odd reason, the rough opening appears to be 6' 6" (6 1/2') wide. It seems virtually all patio doors come in only a 6' width.

I checked at Menards, and they can special/custom order a few different brands, but the upcharge is something like $400. All that for a lousy 6" of width.

So, I'm hoping the collective wisdom here can lead me to a door that comes in a 6' 6" rough opening width. I'm looking for a standard slider (not french doors) with screen. Probably wood interior, aluminum clad exterior.

I really hate to pay $400 for a custom one, but I guess I'd do that before trying to fill in 3" on each side of the door and having it look really stupid. In particular, I think it would look really bad from the outside. All our windows have a modern, low-profile frames and suddenly having a 3" wider one on each side of this one just wouldn't look right.

Thanks!

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

Just a quick bump, to see if anyone knows....

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

What is the rough opening for a 6' door? I've never heard of a 6 1/2', but that does not meat they did not exist.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'm talking 6 1/2' R.O. Most sliders want a 6' R.O. (that is, they're slightly smaller than 6' wide).

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer