Sour smell beneath washer

We had a leak around the washer. The floor is vinyl and I didn't see anywhere it could leak. But now 2 weeks later, there is a sour smell coming from under the washer. I will pull it out tomorrow and start rooting around.
Question is -- if it turns out to be coming from underneath the vinyl, I'm thinking about pulling it up enough to pour a 10% chlorine solution and soak it good. I have seen that on several DIY websites.
I'm not interested in "theories" or "best guesses" what to do -- I would like to hear from someone in the plumbing or construction business who has run across this and fixed it.
Thanks.
Fred

it could leak. But now 2 weeks later, there is a sour smell coming from under the washer. I will pull it out tomorrow and start rooting around.

thinking about pulling it up enough to pour a 10% chlorine solution and soak it good. I have seen that on several DIY websites.

to hear from someone in the plumbing or construction business who has run across this and fixed it.

I fixed the problem when I had it a few years ago, but I'm not in the construction or plumbing business. Sorry, can't help then.

Yep, same here Ed. I am sure someone on here will say they are "in the business" and give him some advice. But in reality, it would still be theories/guesses since they can't actually SEE the problem. LOL
Hank <~~~~shaking head

it could leak. But now 2 weeks later, there is a sour smell coming from under the washer. I will pull it out tomorrow and start rooting around.

thinking about pulling it up enough to pour a 10% chlorine solution and soak it good. I have seen that on several DIY websites.

to hear from someone in the plumbing or construction business who has run across this and fixed it.
Hi Fred, I'm in the plumbing *and* construction business. I can help you. Trust me.
As a plumber, I'd recommend you replace all the pipes going to and from that area of the house.
as a 'constructor' -- I'd recommend getting out of the house immediately as your entire family is in danger. [even aunt sally down in Boca-- and the twins who live in the Philippines] tear that house down-- I can build you another.
Jim

Great advice Jim. If he would've had you build and plumb his house, he wouldn't have had the leak in the first place.
Hank <~~~~ in the "business"............ of pissing with people. :-)

Most people would move the washer BEFORE asking for PROFESSIONAL ADVICE. And since you dont want a mere guess, I wont mention the dead rats that could be under there.....
On 1/30/2012 3:36 AM, Fred wrote:

it could leak. But now 2 weeks later, there is a sour smell coming from under the washer. I will pull it out tomorrow and start rooting around.

thinking about pulling it up enough to pour a 10% chlorine solution and soak it good. I have seen that on several DIY websites.

to hear from someone in the plumbing or construction business who has run across this and fixed it.

I'm sorry, these guys are too much. The real solution is to remove all the sour balls, warheads, and skittles, from your pockets before you wash your pants

I'm not in the construction of plumbing business either, but I do know a TOOL when I see one...
On 1/30/2012 3:36 AM, Fred wrote:

it could leak. But now 2 weeks later, there is a sour smell coming from under the washer. I will pull it out tomorrow and start rooting around.

thinking about pulling it up enough to pour a 10% chlorine solution and soak it good. I have seen that on several DIY websites.

to hear from someone in the plumbing or construction business who has run across this and fixed it.

One important aspect is what is under the vinyl....plywood, particle board or ? Either ply or part will have been damaged, so the condition is important beyond the mildew. Either should probably be replaced. Short of replacement, simply drying it and spraying with MILD bleach solution would probably solve the mildew problem....bleach kills spores and being dry will keep mildew from growing again. The suggestions to use 1/10 or 1/4 bleach are likely to further degrade any wood underneath.
I'm not in the biz and haven't dealt directly with your kind of situation. Did have a fridge stored closed up, no power, in Florida house for about six months. There was mildew with an intense, acrid odor which I could not get rid of. Mildewy spots on a couple of walls from minor leaks were gone after wiping with mild bleach and repairing the leaks.

Thanks, Norminn. Yes, it's particle board -- just like what was used in the bathrooms and kitchen. I have been slowly replacing it with cement board as other leaks have shown up.

I have used Clorox on things, but now more often I use oxyclean. For clothes, wood, and I'm going to try it on cardboard like things. In my little trailer I remodeled, I treated mouse pissed wood, several times, then a final sealing paint coat.
Greg

Thanks, Greg. Sounds good. I have had success using a couple of coats of shellac for sealing. Does a good job water-proofing and preventing out-gassing from particle board.

@Fred:
It sounds like you don't know what leaked...
The sour smell could be the odorous after effect of what "leaked" now that it is drying out...
You really should have moved the machine and properly cleaned the floor underneath it before coming on here asking for advice about a potential problem which is most likely resolved by cleaning up the remaining drying slime from whatever leaked...
I guess you could consult a professional plumber or contractor about what could only be a minor janitorial problem if you had money to burn...
~~ Evan
Found the source of the smell. It was a potato that had fallen out of the sack and rolled behind the washer turning rancid.
[...]

Yep,it takes a plumber or contractor to find things like that. I just noticed your email comes from an edu account. Figures.
LOL!!

But you were willing and apparently able to afford $400 or $500 to hire a plumber or contractor to determine that you had a janitorial issue...
WOW... Next time move the machine yourself before posting something that makes you sound like a jerk rather than someone who works or studies at a college...
("Smart" people can be quite dumb at times...)
~~ Evan

WOW... Imitation is one of the most sincere forms of flattery...
Still a jerk -- but oh well, I know quite a few professors that are brilliant in their subject area but quite clueless on how to operate a copying machine, how to do their own laundry or even food preparation -- you seem to fit into that category... No practical/street smarts about you at all, you go from zero to full jerk about work that the blue-collar class laborers perform because it totally baffles you and your brilliant mind...
~~ Evan