Soundproofing ceiling of basement

I have a window of opportunity coming up to reinforce the floor of my kitchen and dining room. What I plan to do is to remove the sheetrock on the ceiling of the basement below, and double up each of the 2X8 joists that are there now with new Fir 2X8s. The span is 14', and should have been built with bigger lumber to begin with but it's too late for that now. My question to the group is "What can I do to this ceiling while it's open, to deaden the sound of people walking on the floor above?" The sound is quite loud and makes for a noisy living space. Bring on the suggestions.....

Reply to
John Tabasz

--------------------------------------------------- install resilient channel (metal strapping) instead of fir (wood) strapping and insulate with R-30 sound proofing insulation and install 5/8" fire rated sheet rock or blueboard.

NOTE if you have can lights in the ceiling make sure they are made for insulated spaces.

Carpenter Ant

The metal channel I used was called hat channel, don't know if that is the real term or the pet name for it. One layer of 5/8 sheetrock on the floor joist, the connect channel on one side of the metal hat, then attach the 1/2 sheetrock to the channel. The last layer will sort of be suspended and stop sound. Worked good for me.

Mike Coonrod

John Tabasz wrote:

Reply to
Mike Coonrod