Soundproofing a room?

Need to soundproof small bedrooms. I am not asking for 100% soundproofed rooms, but at least a 50% reduction in the noises carrying from room to room.
Is there a cheap and, more importantly, _easy_ way to do this? thanks,
A friend of mine believe it or not used the trays you get at coffee joints , Tim hortons etc. and covered one wall in his son's room with them . It works fine I guess and looks rather neat as well. You can paint them and add to them as well.

Egg cartons would achieve the same result.

Yes, but they are flammable.
JRL wrote:

That's neat idea, coffee take-out trays or egg trays. Very good acoustic material!
JRL wrote:

Reasonable acoustically, but quite a fire hazard. Make sure they are painted with some fire retardant paint to avoid RI nightclub syndrome.
Pete C.
JRL wrote:

But consider that those trays are both flammable and give off toxic gases when burning.
George wrote:

I think the trays in question are the molded paper pulp variety which are certainly flammable but I don't believe have any particular toxic gas issues.
Pete C.
Homasote board will deaden some sound as well (it's basically compressed cellulose). If you can find some cheaply enough, cork does a nice job of this too.
Are you asking about acoustical separation of one room to another or about dampening sound created within the room? TB
On 23 Mar 2006 08:09:27 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net"

I'm asking about reducing the noise heard from _one room_ so that other areas of the home cannot hear the noise, or at least cannot hear it as much as now.
Sound has some basic principals that you can use to lessen the noise
1) Sound loves hard surfaces (helps it bounce around) -Soften the room to obsorb more sound 2) Sound will travel where air leaks (Change doors or get rid of the air space) 3) Sound travels in waves (Soft materials that are diamond shaped will break this wave and obsord it.
Things that work for absorbing sound
1) Sound deadning insulation 2) Sheets of drywall hung on Z channel isolators 3) Sound Board 4) Egg carton foam 5) heavy soft rugs or sheets about an inch away from the wall (You'd be amazed)

How cheap is cheap, and do you/ not want to open/ patch the wall? When my bro who lived w me was learning to play sax, we pulled off panelling and had cellulose blown into walls. This was a rental. Landlady arrived in the middle of this and nearly had a heart attack. I also opened up hollow door and filled it w corkboard, which my bro got free from company that was chucking it. Helped a lot. If you don't want to open/patch wall, I'd agree with above.
HotRod wrote:

To add to that read: http://www.soundproofing.org /
In general you want to block air exchange. Air caries sound very well. (Try opening your car's window as a train is going by.)
Next you want weight. Heavy things (drywall lead sheets etc.) block sound well.
You also want to prevent any direct solid connections. Stagger wall studs or use special isolation devices to keep the sound from traveling through the wall (remember the two cans on a string (well wire actuarially worked) you want to break the wire).
Filling in wall cavities with sound absorbing materials (accustical fiberglass bats) will do a little.
Point source control (special absorption material) at the source of the sound will also help.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

http://www.soundproofing.org /

Recent issue of Journal of Light Construction has an in depth article on this topic. Pick up a copy or it might be available for a couple of $ from their web site: www.jlconline.com
Article title is "Innovations in sound control".
I always thought cork would be best, but I see now that other materials can be used as well. thanks for the info guys, again :-)