Sound proofing a room

100 people were killed in a matter of minutes at the Station Night Club in Rhode Island a few years ago when acoustic foam that was not rated fireproof, caught fire and burned VERY QUICKLY and emitted toxic fumes. (google for details) The safe stuff is more expensive.
Reply to
salty

yeah that fire was terrible componded by locked fire doors so people coudnt leak in without paying

Reply to
bob haller

That was open cell polyurethane foam panels (like Soundex and Audex), it flash burns like cellulose. Best solution is upholstered rigid fiberglass, which has much better acoustical properties anyway, and you can make panels yourself.

Reply to
windcrest

Not true. There were at least 4 useble exits. The problems were: 1) Initially everyone thought the fire was part of the show. 2)The fire completed engulfed the palce in a matter of 4 or 5 minutes. 3)Most of the crowd, even those near other exits all stampeded to the front door where they had entered. That quickly resulted in a doorway filled with panicked people stacked up and wedged in the doorway.

There was a crew there, filming a documentary about nightclub safety (!) of all things. They have photos of the front entrance with all the bodies, dead and alive, wedged there.

The people farthest from the front door, and near the stage when the fire started were within 10 feet of an unlocked fire exit that was ignored by most of them, including some of the band.

lesson learned: Whenever you are in a crowded public space, make sure you immediately figure out where the closest emergency exit is located. Finding it in the middle of chaos and darkness may be impossible.

Reply to
salty

I remember reading up on that in the 1964 Britannica. First seal the holes, then install an inner wall acoustically isolated from the first. They said two layers of plate glass could be pretty effective.

Green Glue is different. It works like the mat under the carpet in a car. First you have the metal pan, then the mat of heavy insulation, then the carpet. By pressing against the metal, the mat dampens the vibrations, and that gives you a quiet ride.

You squirt a bead of Green Glue in a pattern on a sheet of drywall and screw it over your existing wall. With the Green Glue to dampen vibrations, you don't have to worry about sound transmitted through the screws.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

I used to have Soundex and Audex foam panels in my studio, I ripped it all out after that fire, now I have all rigid fiberglass upholstered with nice some fabrics my wife selected. They look a hell of a lot better than urethane acoustical foam too. The fabric was applied with

3M #90 spray glue then I ironed it flat while the glue was still wet under the fabric. This permanently bonded the fabric to the fiberglass very tight and flat. Washing the fabric in a highly concentrated mixture of 20 Mule Team Borax (no rinse) also makes the fabric itself fire-retardant.
Reply to
windcrest

How dare you post an informative answer to a question in this newsgroup. You should be stood up against a soundproof wall and shot.

Hey, how about that health care reform, huh?

-Frank

Reply to
Frank Warner

Probably had knob and tube wiring inside the foam. ROTFLMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Steve Barker

Not terribly funny to the friends, family and parents of those who died so horribly.

Reply to
salty

They're not likely on this group.

Reply to