Sound proofing a room

Page 2 of 2

Looks like if I do that I won't have to strip out the old walls. I could just go into the installation of the second layer of drywall and ceiling tiles.
Thanks, David
Shy Picker wrote:

I remember reading up on that in the 1964 Britannica. First seal the holes, then install an inner wall acoustically isolated from the first. They said two layers of plate glass could be pretty effective.
Green Glue is different. It works like the mat under the carpet in a car. First you have the metal pan, then the mat of heavy insulation, then the carpet. By pressing against the metal, the mat dampens the vibrations, and that gives you a quiet ride.
You squirt a bead of Green Glue in a pattern on a sheet of drywall and screw it over your existing wall. With the Green Glue to dampen vibrations, you don't have to worry about sound transmitted through the screws.
hibb wrote:

Are you sure you want to do this? The world already has too much (alleged) music.
I'm sure yours will be fine, but it will have to fight through all the noise.
Perhaps an avocation with less competition would be more rewarding, say, new recipes involving broccoli?

Well, I'm not a professional musician any more and we don't travel much these days so it still sounds like a good hobby. My recordings would be mostly for family and friends, pity them, and post some on facebook and myspace and such.
David

we used egg carton halves tacked all over the walls in the old days.

Double staggered stud walls, packed with Roxul Safe and Sound rock wool, with 5.8" GP DensArmor drywall on the studio side, fastened with construction adhesive and screws. Inner stud wall isolated from floor and ceiling with strips od Styrofoam SM or DriCore, and floor on SM Sheet. Ceiling insulated with Roxul and suspended - either accousic tile or heavy drywall(The dens-armor is a bitch to put on a ceiling but it will not resonate, drum, or retransmit.
On Sep 30, 2:30pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I will have to learn more about that Roxul Safe and Sound rock wool.
Thanks, David
hibb wrote:

Green Glue. You use two layers of drywall with a bead of Green Glue between. It dampens vibrations. I don't think there's another product like it.

Interesting. I will have to learn more about that.

    Checkout: http://www.soundproofing.org/
On Oct 1, 7:52am, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Thanks, I will check that out.
David