Sound Proofing a door. Ideas !!!

I live in a unit, flat, apartment, whatever you call it. Any ways it gets a little noiseing in the hallway from time to tme and would like to sound proof my main door.
Its just a hollow one, problaby why it snot doing frack to stop any noise. Probalby easist way is to buy a sold door, but I like a project :)
I was thinking of putting something into the door to sound proof it, but not sure what.
Any ideas ???

Google ''Sound proofing a door'' for ideas. I'm not saying to buy the products you see, but to get ideas on what needs to be done:
Thick foam tape around the opening, foamboard on the door itself, air space between the foam and the door, a loud stereo, etc.
Drill a hole in the door & use spray in foam you can buy in a can at Home Depot

Good idea, ceptin you might be drilling a lot of holes, as there is corrugation/bracing on the inside of hollow core doors. Also, that HD spray foam , Great Stuff, comes in 3 diff. "expandabilities".
A quick and dirty way is simply to buy 4x8 sheets of sound deadening board and attach it to the door--forgot what it's called, but I bleeve HD has it. Attaching on both the inside and outside of the door would be optimal.
Also, getting the hallway itself treated could be a big help. Carpeting is a great sound deadener for hallways. Don't know what else the owner would spring for, but if he's like most owners, proly not much.
--
------
Mr. P.V.\'d (formerly Droll Troll), Yonkers, NY
desgnr wrote:

Or drill a slightly larger hole and stick a water hose in it. That should dampen the excitement.
John Candy wrote:

Just keep in mind that anything you do to the existing door could be considered damage by the owner and you could end up paying for a new door being installed.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
That's a plan.... replace it with a nice solid one that's a lot more soundproof!

Heavier does not guarantee soundproofing, altho it is an indication. Keep in mind that sound studios on a budget use cardboard egg cartons and carpeting stuck all over the walls.
--
------
Mr. P.V.\'d (formerly Droll Troll), Yonkers, NY
Andrew Duane wrote:

Except the OP will not likely be consulted or have any say in what replacement door will be used. Most likely the exact same thing that was there before.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
John Candy wrote:

Depending upon your locality and the situation, if this is the main door to your home, a hollow core door may not meet building codes and laws regarding security or fire safety. You might want to check out the situation, and then work with the landlord (maybe pay part of the cost or do some work) to bring the door up to snuff.
That and some good weather stripping (including threshold / sweep) should do wonders to reduce noise coming in the door.
If noise is still a problem, you can then try additional measures.

Sounds travels easily through cracks. Door weatherseal should help, also try placing a heavy rug roll up against the bottom of the door. If you can, installing a storm door will help.
generally speaking, adding mass to the door (or wall) will improve its noise attenuation. A rule of thumb is if you double the mass of the door, you reduce the noise passing thru by -6db. -6db is a substantial improvement in the way humans perceive sound.
Keep in mind, that any composite wall will have what is termed a "coincidence dip" which will occur at a frequency near that of the walls natural resonant frequency. what this means is that for that particular sound frequency range you will hear certain sounds louder than other sounds falling in other frequency ranges. A good example of this is listening to a car driving by behind a glass window. The resonant frequency of an insulated glass window is relatively high so you hear the higher frequency sounds pass through yet the lower frequency sounds are more attenuated (compared to listening to a car without a window in front of you).
anyway, using weatherstripping, etc to fill in the gaps around the door will only do so much. What you really want ideally is a heavy (massive) door. In your case, that may not be acheivable short of replacing the door or modifying it to the point where you won't get your security deposit back or where it would lose its aesthetic appeal
Good luck, Malto

I have a bunch of clothes I don't need anymore and they are not good enough to give away, so I will use those to push into the door and see what that does.
Ill just conpact them into the door as much as I can, without m akeing the door look like its about to have kids :)
It should help, though not sure if they will blockout low pitch or high pitch noise more ???
Thanks.

I got around to putting the weather proofing on the edges of the door and it works pretty good, no alot of sound gets though now its kind of muffled, though not perfect.
Will add some heavey curtians to get the resat of the sound and see how that goes, if that does not get it all Will do some other stuff :)
Thanks all.