Sound of Car Door Slamming

Had a Cardinal......Protecting her territory. Against her reflection in our storm door......

.....Sounded like a door slammin'

Reply to
sky

Wow, this posting has had an unusual amount of replies. Here's my two cents...

How is you home heated? How old is your house? How often and when do the noises occur?

I've heard a variety of noises from heating systems caused by air in baseboard heating radiators, air in the water pipes and air ducts expanding & contracting. It also could be the house settling through the day.

No, I don't think barnyard animals are borrowing you car and you house isn't haunted.

Handi_ca

Reply to
Handi

I woke up one morning to the sound of someone trying to break into the house. The Cedar-Waxwings were attacking the ornamental cherry out front and got drunk. They were trying to comfit mass suicide by flying into the bay window in the livingroom. Dumb alkies! ;-)

...more like Hagar breaking into a castle.

Reply to
krw

Well, JimL..........any luck so far?.......

Reply to
sky

Sounds like a damper. In an HVAC duct, in a flue, range hood, dryer exhaust, bathroom fan, attic ventilation maybe. A damper by itself is just a rather small piece of aluminum hinged in a duct/vent, but when it slams, the surrounding pipe can give echoes/reverb. Normally, these dampers have rubber stops to cushion them, but looks like a stop might have worn out.

Next time noise occurs, instead of running out to look for cars, concentrate on remembering what did you recently do in the house. Used a bathroom? Been cooking? Etc.

Reply to
scorrpio

I'm shocked that it isn't a common occurence. I was expecting a lot of "Yeah, I hear that all the time."

I've discussed it with my sisters and pretty sure it is either ghosts or really unusual atmospheric conditions that amplify an actual car door slamming about a mile or two away and make it sound like it is in the front yard. Kind of like the Marfa lights.

It only happens in the heat of a hot summer day - no wind, no ac. Windows open. And only maybe once or twice a month.

Multiple people in the house hear it.

The house is about 3 miles from a small mountain range on one side and on the upper edge of a small valley and creek on the other side

Sound travels down that valley very easily and also on real still nights you can hear the radio in truckers cabs from 3 miles away on the hwy.

Reply to
JimL

You and your sisters, should be ashamed 'o yourselfs......

1st 'ya say......

Then its.......

Which is it?....... .............. .........................

..

...... ....... ....

Did I ketch a 'troll? Shh!.......................

Reply to
sky

:On 11 Aug 2006 02:10:08 -0700, "sky" wrote: : :>

:>JimL wrote: :>> We recently moved the country to an old homestead. :>>

:>> Normally we like the quiet, but we are really starting to get freaked :>> out by the sounds of a car door slamming. :>>

:>> Every time it happens, we go the front of the house and look out in :>> our driveway which is a quarter mile from the dirt county road and :>> there is nothing there. It is half a mile to the nearest neighbor. :>>

:>> We contacted the previous owner said she said it spooked her, too. :>>

:>> This has been happening at least once a day for the last 3 months and :>> we are frustrated. :>> :>> Any ideas? :>

:>Well, JimL..........any luck so far?....... : : I'm shocked that it isn't a common occurence. I was expecting a lot :of "Yeah, I hear that all the time." : : I've discussed it with my sisters and pretty sure it is either :ghosts or really unusual atmospheric conditions that amplify an actual :car door slamming about a mile or two away and make it sound like it :is in the front yard. Kind of like the Marfa lights. : : It only happens in the heat of a hot summer day - no wind, no ac. :Windows open. And only maybe once or twice a month. : : Multiple people in the house hear it. : : The house is about 3 miles from a small mountain range on one side :and on the upper edge of a small valley and creek on the other side : :Sound travels down that valley very easily and also on real still :nights you can hear the radio in truckers cabs from 3 miles away on :the hwy.

Well, I'd rule out the ghosts were I you. This just goes to show that even if you move out to the boonies you are still maybe going to have noise issues. I'd swap you mine, though. My real estate's expensive, but my house run down. My brother lives where the land isn't as valuable, but his house is pristine. I tell him he should be grateful it's so quiet (I've never noticed noise issues when staying with him). I don't know if he appreciates that.

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

This is a highly common paranormal sound. I too have heard this while living in a haunted home. Try burning white sage and using religious artifacts around your home.

Reply to
CCCyndi

What is white sage? Would culinary sage (Salvia officinalis) work as well?

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Cultural appropriation!

"Many a hard-up Witch has wondered if it?s okay to use culinary Sage?the kind that goes in turkey stuffing and breakfast sausage?for smudging. The answer is yes! Common Sage is a close relative of White Sage, and has many of the same beneficial properties as its superstar cousin, White Sage. Common Sage originates in Europe, and its medicinal and folkloric uses date back to the Middle Ages. For those involved in the European traditions of Witchcraft, it may make more sense to smudge with Common Sage than one of the North American varieties."

Since I don't travel in witchy circles I thought smudging with sage meant Artemisia tridentata (sagebrush) which is what the Indians east of California use. I like the smell and will sometimes pick little bundle and throw it on the dash. Beats little pine trees dangling from the mirror. Maybe that's why my car isn't haunted.

Reply to
rbowman

You can laugh but earplugs are not the solution here. I live in a mobile home and I hear these sounds every single night. Come to find out, Trees make these sounds when they are distressed and they call it something like emergency watering is needed. It bothers me when I'm trying to go to sleep and I even sleep with fan on to drown out noises but this booming IS LOUD. ITS A THUD THAT JUST CANNOT BE IGNORED.

Reply to
Wings1969

Not this kind of thud. This kind can be felt from the ground, it really does feel like it might be a distressed tree issue.

Reply to
Wings1969

No, you aren't. From what I read on Google, they refer to the noise as a distressed tree needing emergency watering. The thing is, from what tree? Could it be from my neighbors central air unit, I really don't think it could that be that loud. 🤔

Reply to
Wings1969

This happens only during the night. In the early morning hours.

Reply to
Wings1969

You are a bit late after FIFTEEN YEARS, stupid

Reply to
lacksey