Sound of Car Door Slamming

Page 2 of 2
Grandpa wrote:

<http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/product.asp?T1=G80620&UID 0608081710273904849556>

Had a Cardinal......Protecting her territory. Against her reflection in our storm door......
.....Sounded like a door slammin'
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

I woke up one morning to the sound of someone trying to break into the house. The Cedar-Waxwings were attacking the ornamental cherry out front and got drunk. They were trying to comfit mass suicide by flying into the bay window in the livingroom. Dumb alkies! ;-)

...more like Hagar breaking into a castle.
--
Keith

Wow, this posting has had an unusual amount of replies. Here's my two cents...
How is you home heated? How old is your house? How often and when do the noises occur?
I've heard a variety of noises from heating systems caused by air in baseboard heating radiators, air in the water pipes and air ducts expanding & contracting. It also could be the house settling through the day.
No, I don't think barnyard animals are borrowing you car and you house isn't haunted.
Handi_ca
JimL wrote:

Well, JimL..........any luck so far?.......
sky Wrote:

Sounds like a damper. In an HVAC duct, in a flue, range hood, dryer exhaust, bathroom fan, attic ventilation maybe. A damper by itself is just a rather small piece of aluminum hinged in a duct/vent, but when it slams, the surrounding pipe can give echoes/reverb. Normally, these dampers have rubber stops to cushion them, but looks like a stop might have worn out.
Next time noise occurs, instead of running out to look for cars, concentrate on remembering what did you recently do in the house. Used a bathroom? Been cooking? Etc.
--
scorrpio

I'm shocked that it isn't a common occurence. I was expecting a lot of "Yeah, I hear that all the time."
I've discussed it with my sisters and pretty sure it is either ghosts or really unusual atmospheric conditions that amplify an actual car door slamming about a mile or two away and make it sound like it is in the front yard. Kind of like the Marfa lights.
It only happens in the heat of a hot summer day - no wind, no ac. Windows open. And only maybe once or twice a month.
Multiple people in the house hear it.
The house is about 3 miles from a small mountain range on one side and on the upper edge of a small valley and creek on the other side
Sound travels down that valley very easily and also on real still nights you can hear the radio in truckers cabs from 3 miles away on the hwy.
JimL wrote:

You and your sisters, should be ashamed 'o yourselfs......
1st 'ya say......

Then its.......

..
Did I ketch a 'troll? Shh!.......................
: :> :>JimL wrote: :>> We recently moved the country to an old homestead.:>> :>> Normally we like the quiet, but we are really starting to get freaked :>> out by the sounds of a car door slamming.:>> :>> Every time it happens, we go the front of the house and look out in :>> our driveway which is a quarter mile from the dirt county road and :>> there is nothing there. It is half a mile to the nearest neighbor.:>> :>> We contacted the previous owner said she said it spooked her, too.:>> :>> This has been happening at least once a day for the last 3 months and :>> we are frustrated. :>> :>> Any ideas?:> :>Well, JimL..........any luck so far?.......: : I'm shocked that it isn't a common occurence. I was expecting a lot :of "Yeah, I hear that all the time." : : I've discussed it with my sisters and pretty sure it is either :ghosts or really unusual atmospheric conditions that amplify an actual :car door slamming about a mile or two away and make it sound like it :is in the front yard. Kind of like the Marfa lights. : : It only happens in the heat of a hot summer day - no wind, no ac. :Windows open. And only maybe once or twice a month. : : Multiple people in the house hear it. : : The house is about 3 miles from a small mountain range on one side :and on the upper edge of a small valley and creek on the other side : :Sound travels down that valley very easily and also on real still :nights you can hear the radio in truckers cabs from 3 miles away on :the hwy.
Well, I'd rule out the ghosts were I you. This just goes to show that even if you move out to the boonies you are still maybe going to have noise issues. I'd swap you mine, though. My real estate's expensive, but my house run down. My brother lives where the land isn't as valuable, but his house is pristine. I tell him he should be grateful it's so quiet (I've never noticed noise issues when staying with him). I don't know if he appreciates that.