Sound Insulation for my Computer!?

Page 2 of 2

wow, thanks All, I never expected so many responses.
I found - right in my living room - a small side table/cabinet, that is the perfect size for my computer box. I will just slip it in, and cut a hole in the back for the cables.
It also has a hinged front door, in case it gets too warm. And that will be my only concern now - the heat.
What do I monitor? The hard drives [I have 2]? The CPU chip? Put a temperature gauge in the box? I'm not sure what too hot will be. Maybe I should cut some air holes?
I have SpeedFan, but will have to learn it. I may also try Active Hard Disk Monitor.
thanks, marc

If your going to do that, I'd suggest cutting the entire back out of it. Then, you could leave the front closed. That's what I did for a while, and my system never got hot.
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 14:33:49 -0800 (PST), marco polo

As many of those things as you can, plus what fan speeds you can. The software will look for things it can monitor. In my case, it finds the CPU and the motherboard. I don't know where the sensors are and I don't need to know.
My computer mobo runs at about 85F and my cpu at 150F. The software, Asus Probe, will make a beeping audible alert if it gets too hot. The volume is adjustable, and I tested it and even 1 (out of 10) is noticeable if I'm sitting in front of the computer)
It also monitors 4 voltages and up to 3 fan speeds, although in my case, it only monitors the CPU fan. The Power Supply fan isn't set up for that, and I have an added fan but it's connected straight to the power supply and not through the motherboard. There is a little 1x1x3/8" fan on a chip, but that fan doesn't get monitored. So the setting to monitor the chassis fan isn't used.
If any monitored fan speeds goes below 600, or any voltage is 10% low (or high?) or if the temp goes over 122 or 167C respectively, the alert starts to beep.
I can change each alert threshhold separately. Maybe I'll look for more info about temperatures and do that. (I've only been using this reguarly since my power supply failed last week.)

No need unless your computer is very old.

I tried SpeedFan when I read about it here and it was not at all obvious. I'd call it obscure. I'm not interested in lowering fan speeds so I went back to AsusProbe. (If I were interested in lowering fan speeds, I woudl disconnect the fan I put in front of the case, which does nothing since neither side is on the case. They're supposed to be, because the entry at the lower front and discharge at the upper rear makes an air current that goes over all the hot parts, but I've been running like this for several years so I guess my particular parts aren't going to overheat.
I did look at the part that checks the hard disk and it said mine was fine and had never had problems. I hope to use it occasionally to see if it stays that way.

mm,
under System it says Manufacturer: ASUSTek Computer Inc Model: ASUS Computer Series Processor: AMD Athlon 64 dual core etc etc
Well anyway, it looked [to me] like I had an Asus motherboard, so I tried to install Asus Probe, but it said "...you need a Asus Motherboard.."' So I guess maybe I don''t have an Asus
marc
marco polo wrote:

Hmmm Some PC case has fan speed adjustable. They being running at 12V DC You can slow them down by running at 5 or 7.5V(between 12 and 5 Volts) Or using series resistor of proper Wattage or Rheostat.
Remove the "NOSPAM" before sending to this email address.
[snip]

12 - 5 = 7.5. New math?
In

It doesn't say that; it says runnning at BETWEEN 5 and 12 Volts, 5 and 7.5 being two of the choices used, which is common for some of the older multi-speed fan managements. More often in newer machines they're driven by a variable pulse application so that heat dissipation in components other than the fan are not an issue of any sort.
Regards,
Twayne`
In

Before I get flamed; Just noticed the incorrect nic and fixed it. Stoopid OE!
Twayne
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 18:37:04 -0500, "news.eternal-september.org"

While refusing to admit the ambiguity in words. My definition is just as valid as yours. It's simpler to achieve. You already (in a PC) have +5V and +12V lines. connecting between them gives you 7V. The other sort of 'between' is more complicated to achieve.